PDA

View Full Version : Explosive bubbles

csk91
02-24-2020, 07:47 PM
I am sure this has been asked before but what is the deal with the huge explosive bubbles I am experiencing when finishing my syrup? I am just a hobby guy with 25 taps in my yard. I was finishing a small batch today and as the syrup was getting to temp I started getting huge bangs and explosive bubbles. It’s actually pretty dangerous as I am looking down into the pan! Anyway what are these bubbles all about and more importantly how do I avoid them? Thanks

Z/MAN
02-24-2020, 10:08 PM
It sounds like you have a niter buildup laying in the bottom of your pan. Clean your pan before you boil again.

csk91
02-25-2020, 04:47 AM
Thanks. I noticed a lot of sugar sand but this was a small batch I was finishing (about 1/2 gal) I got it up to 217 and then filtered it through a wool filter into my finishing box and it started happening in the clean pan after only a few minutes. I noticed it intensifies when I increased the heat.

csk91
02-25-2020, 07:45 AM
I should also point out that this batch came out with sugar sand in the finish bottles so I am doing something wrong

donka
03-10-2020, 08:55 PM
I've had my thinner stainless pans do this before and shooting syrup out of the pan. When I switched to a heavier gauge stainless it stopped. Not sure if that's what's happening but mybe give it a try.