PDA

View Full Version : Southern Indiana!!!

gatertech
02-24-2020, 08:18 AM
Hey all, I'm new here and just curious if anyone else is tapping southern Indiana. Around the Scottsburg area? I've been messing around with Maples since I was a kid but just to make enough for the family. Thinking about making more so the kids can sell some syrup in the coming years as they grow. Currently we have 51 taps. 24 on buckets and 27 on 3/16 with little slope. This is the first year I have messed with 3/16 because I dont have any slope but wow what a difference. I only have about 12' slope after the last tap with only around 8" vac and cant believe how much flow I have compared to all the rest. It's not 27"+ but a massive difference from buckets. Was able to get 103 gallons last week. How is everyone else doing?

Andrew Franklin
02-24-2020, 11:28 PM
Hey all, I'm new here and just curious if anyone else is tapping southern Indiana. Around the Scottsburg area? I've been messing around with Maples since I was a kid but just to make enough for the family. Thinking about making more so the kids can sell some syrup in the coming years as they grow. Currently we have 51 taps. 24 on buckets and 27 on 3/16 with little slope. This is the first year I have messed with 3/16 because I dont have any slope but wow what a difference. I only have about 12' slope after the last tap with only around 8" vac and cant believe how much flow I have compared to all the rest. It's not 27"+ but a massive difference from buckets. Was able to get 103 gallons last week. How is everyone else doing?
Hi! I'm near Bloomington and tapped 4 weekends ago. I have plenty of slope, but struggle with vacuum because my 3/16 lines are about 700' long running through the forest and squirrels and deer seem to like to destroy them. And, I'll admit, I'm often too busy to walk the lines every time down and find leaks. I've collected about 350 gallons of sap so far...still finishing it off so not sure what the final syrup count is yet. Good luck...you are off to a good start!