PDA

View Full Version : Barrell Advice

obsessed
02-22-2020, 09:48 PM
Hey Y'a;;

I am looking for some advice on my 55 gallon drum setup. Attached you'll find a picture. My pans sit down into each of the cutouts and last year I had a hard time getting the front pan up to to good strong boil. I think what I need to do is to add a wall or slope somewhere towards the back. I am not sure where though, as far forward as possible? Halfway back on the second pan? Make the fire are just big enough for the length log?

What exactly am I trying to accomplish here?

I am handy with a welder so I was thinking so amount of angle bar to hold in bricks and goe from there. I just didn't want to completly work my way up from scratch if someone can give me a head start.

Thanks
TJ20960

tlcfj6082
02-22-2020, 11:43 PM
Your loosing a lot of heat without ceramic blanket and fire bricks. That would be a easy first step.

obsessed
02-23-2020, 05:13 AM
I am planning the bricks right now and am trying to sort out the internal wall thing. Right now I have been taking the bricks out to make the structure easier to move at the end of the season.

ecolbeck
02-23-2020, 06:06 AM
I would think about the following:

1. Lose the damper. You want to run your rig at, or close to, full throttle. Dampers are for wood stoves that lack air control and want to slow down the fire for an overnight burn.
2. Make sure that you have top quality dry wood that is finely split. I think 2-4 inch splits is recommended.
3. Build a brick wall that comes to within a few inches of the bottom of your rear pan. Set it far enough back so that there is room to add your firewood. You may have to modify your grates to accommodate this. With such a short arch this idea may not gain you a lot. Others who have used these rigs may chime in and offer their advice.
4. How is air getting in to feed the fire? Under grate air will serve you best.

tlcfj6082
02-23-2020, 06:52 AM

Not sure why they went sideways, but here is an example of shorting the fire box.

maple flats
02-23-2020, 07:22 AM
If the 2 pieces of wood shown are your typical size, split each into 2 or 3 pieces. Wrist size is what you want. Also, use one of the ideas to shorten the firebox. The raised part will push the heat up to the pans.