PDA

View Full Version : plastic drums

firetech
12-10-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm looking for some used food grade plastic drums to set up my roadside trees on, would like about 10. Can someone give me some direction as to where to go? I've found some that had pipeline soap in them but they smelled bleachy to me and I'm concerd about getting the oder out. Thanks

davey
12-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Ive gotten a few from recycling facilities, they usually give them away. Just be sure they are labeled, I've gotten a few with pepsi concentrate and tend to avoid the fruit flavored as I can't ever get rid of that. I also had some luck at a local food producer as well. Drove around back and asked one of the guys rather than at the front desk. Traded a couple of pints for two 300 gallon totes that used to hold liquid splenda.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-10-2007, 05:53 PM
The rubbermaid containers with lids work great and you can usually get a 31 gallon one for less than $ 15 at Lowes or walmart. They impart no off flavor of anykind that I see, keep the sap cool and don't seem to get slimy very much at all and are easy to clean at the end of the season and during the season and stack together once the season is done. I have used 18 gallon ones before for a few taps, but I have never used the 45 or 54 gallon ones but they should work good also.

mark schaefer
12-16-2007, 11:07 AM
I saw an ad at a local Culligan distributor, they were selling used 30 gal brine tanks with lids for $5.00 each. They are heavy plastic and have a small hole in the side that works great for doing small tubing set ups . They cleaned up very easily and worked great for us. Might be worth checking into.
Mark