PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Releaser Parts

DocsMapleSyrup
02-22-2020, 08:11 PM
I'd like to build a homemade vertical mechanical releaser as I don't have electric anywhere nearby. I am wondering if anyone has reasonably priced source for the following:

10"-12" Pipe (PVC, HDPE, etc)
1/2" clear material for lid
A good idea on the float (Pool float, PVC float, other material for float, etc)
Source for a 1.5 - 2" flapper valve

Thanks

wiam
02-23-2020, 05:45 AM
2096420962I have used 2 of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Puri-Tech-Swing-Check-Valve-PVC-Pipe-Clear-Utility-2-Inch-Slip-x-Slip-Full-Flow/293238916305?hash=item444666c4d1:g:4qQAAOSwZ3Bdg9N 7 for the dump on my Lapierre for several years with no problems. I cut them off on the large part to make it easier to clear ice. The black rubber is a uniseal. I get them on eBay also. They work well. I also use them to bring lines into my upper chamber.

TapTapTap
02-23-2020, 05:45 AM
How much vacuum are you running? HDPE is not as rigid as PVC and would be more susceptible to collapse, particularly when you start cutting holes in it. If you're on high vacuum then I would stay away from HDPE even though you can get some very thick wall stuff.

maple flats
02-23-2020, 07:28 AM
Here is a site that sells PVC by the foot https://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?p_id=CL100-100&name=Class%20100,%20aka%20SDR41%2010%E2%80%9D%20PV C%20Rigid%20Pipe%20By%20The%20Foot,%20SEE%20DETAIL S&xm=on&ppinc=detail&gclid=Cj0KCQiA4sjyBRC5ARIsAEHsELEbUkVH1VhfwS26ZrP5 v_rb7b-5txszqNVEVp0Z8613UGz4SxEOyYwaAtpFEALw_wcB

maple flats
02-23-2020, 07:31 AM
For Lexan sheet (Acrylic) or cuts I bought some online a few years ago. I just googled exactly what I wanted then shopped by cost with shipping to get it to me.

DocsMapleSyrup
02-24-2020, 10:11 AM
Ken, I'm running high vac. I found a local supplier of HDPE but will stay away from that. For those of you with commercial releasers, what is the blue pipe that is being used. I have never seen a releaser close up and don't have a local supplier that would carry a releaser.

Wiam, do the uniseals not leak any vacuum? It would be nice to not have to thread the fittings if possible.

Dave, do you have a homemade releaser? If so do you have any photos of it?

wiam
02-24-2020, 11:18 AM
Ken, I'm running high vac. I found a local supplier of HDPE but will stay away from that. For those of you with commercial releasers, what is the blue pipe that is being used. I have never seen a releaser close up and don't have a local supplier that would carry a releaser.

Wiam, do the uniseals not leak any vacuum? It would be nice to not have to thread the fittings if possible.

Dave, do you have a homemade releaser? If so do you have any photos of it?

I have not had one leak. That is what MES uses going into their electric releasers.

TapTapTap
02-24-2020, 06:13 PM
Hey Chad, the blue pipe goes under a trade name of Blue Brute, or C-900. It is built for pressure lines. The green pipe is for gravity sewer and isn't designed for a significant internal pressure. Obviously it would be best to do the Blue Brute. If you lived closer by I'd find you some from the pipe pile.
Good Luck
Ken

MT Pockets Producer
02-25-2020, 06:21 PM
If you know of any contractors in your area that deal with infrastructure projects they may be a good source. They use the blue pipe for water systems and often have short pieces that get thrown out. I have acquired a few pieces like this and they were glad to get rid of them.

DocsMapleSyrup
02-25-2020, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I might buy a vacuum booster tank. I can get a new one for around $300 and then I can build the remainder of the releaser. Since I can't source a cheap piece of PVC pipe or 1" thick plexiglass, buying a vacuum booster gets me the pipe and lids.

wiam
02-25-2020, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I might buy a vacuum booster tank. I can get a new one for around $300 and then I can build the remainder of the releaser. Since I can't source a cheap piece of PVC pipe or 1" thick plexiglass, buying a vacuum booster gets me the pipe and lids.

I have seen used releasers for not much more than that price.

MT Pockets Producer
02-26-2020, 05:58 AM
1 inch may be overkill. We use 10 inch inside diameter pipe with 1/2 inch clear acrylic and o rings on top and bottom and have not had any issues. A one Square foot piece of the acrylic can be had on eBay for twenty plus dollars. We also use the same check valves as Wiam mentioned. Several seasons on both releasers.

DocsMapleSyrup
02-26-2020, 09:04 AM
Maybe I need to rethink my build. It would be nice if there was a "maple junkyard" where people could source parts that aren't being used or are broken and could be purchased at a reasonable price.

jrgagne99
02-26-2020, 09:45 AM
What are you planning to do for the vacuum release/vent valve on the top? Will you also use a swing check valve on the inlet to preserve the vacuum out in the lines during a dump?

wiam
02-26-2020, 07:45 PM
Maybe I need to rethink my build. It would be nice if there was a "maple junkyard" where people could source parts that aren't being used or are broken and could be purchased at a reasonable price.

Most dealers have that out back

Paddymountain
02-26-2020, 08:59 PM
Why not look for a bender releaser? Should be able to find one for
a $150.

MT Pockets Producer
02-27-2020, 05:40 AM
Will a Bender handle his high vac? I have not used one but it seems I have read that they are more reliable at lower vac levels.

DocsMapleSyrup
02-28-2020, 09:26 PM
What are you planning to do for the vacuum release/vent valve on the top? Will you also use a swing check valve on the inlet to preserve the vacuum out in the lines during a dump?
I'm planning to use a gas fitting on a rod that will be pushed up by a float and will be held up by a spring until the float settles back down on the rod and drops the gas fitting back into the seal so the vacuum can rebuild. And, yes I will be using a swing check valve to preserve the vacuum in the lines.

MT Pockets Producer
02-29-2020, 06:08 PM

We built two releasers based on the design jrgagne99 shared a few years back using the gas fitting method. Very reliable set up. You do need a fairly robust float to overcome the high vacuum levels though. We are running 25-27 inches and It takes a bit of force to unseat the fitting from your seal. It will begin to leak very slowly until the vacuum level drops enough to pop. Does take a while sometimes. But as mentioned above it is very reliable. We tried a 4 inch pvc float but it wasn’t buoyant enough. Went with a six inch diameter stainless cookie container from a bargain store and that did the trick. Sealed the inside of the lid with food safe silicone and put a pvc sleeve through the center sealed with orings. We still use that float but have built a release system more like the commercial brands and it has proven to be very reliable also. A bit more complex but had a lot of fun figuring it all out.

DocsMapleSyrup
03-01-2020, 02:34 PM
jrgagne99

I just realized the releaser I'm fashioning mine after is yours :). I am planning to have a 12" x 18" canister as I was able to source a piece of pipe for free. After reading your original post last night, I don't think the 5"x9" pool float I have will work to break the vacuum and allow enough air to enter the canister to allow the sap to drain out the 2" PVC swing valve quickly. My vacuum pump moves 21 cfm and has a max vacuum of 28". I have never been up close to a releaser so I don't know if there is a way to use some "mechanical advantage" to use the float I have to break the vacuum. I've looked at photos of new releasers online but don't understand all the stuff on the top of them.

MT Pockets Producer
03-01-2020, 06:29 PM
Based on our experience I would suggest you experiment a little on the size of the hole and oring that the fitting seats in. There is probably a sweet spot based on the diameter and length of the pipe and swing valve you are using. Our thought was the smaller the seal diameter the less Force it would take to pop and release. We worked our way up From a hole that was too small to the opening that worked best. The first small hole popped easily but as the air rushed Into the releaser it would grab the fitting and cause the float rod to bounce up and down repeatedly. We bumped the hole size up until the the bouncing didn’t occur and went with that. The releaser was dumping about 3.5 to 4 gallons in about ten seconds.

DocsMapleSyrup
03-03-2020, 08:00 AM
MT

Thanks for that information. I will be sure to start small and move up in size.