PDA

View Full Version : Lenze VFD

Amber Gold
02-22-2020, 01:52 PM
I'm have a fault code on my Lenze VFD and wondering if anybody could help me out with it.

I shut my vacuum pump off to do some work on my releaser, and when I turned it back on I got a fault code on the VFD. The vacuum pump will not turn on. The fault code is F.F_12. The manual says "AD offset fault". Does anyone know what this means and is there a way to fix it?

Thanks for any help.

maple flats
02-23-2020, 08:04 AM
Maybe you can contact the manufacturer. Unfortunately maybe not until tomorrow. Just for an idea, try shutting down all power, break the ground as well, then see if anything happens when you restart the power.

maple flats
02-23-2020, 08:09 AM
Looking at the instruction manual I see 3 choices, are you powering it with 120V single phase, 240V single phase or 3 phase?

maple flats
02-23-2020, 08:17 AM
Did you wire it or an electrician? If electrician can you reach him today? I skimmed the manual and did not find that fault code, likely went too fast. What pg in the manual did you find it?
I'm just heading to my bush now for the day, maybe I can find something later tonight, likely not.

BAP
02-23-2020, 09:49 AM
If you bought it from MES, you should be able to get a hold of Clayton to ask him questions regardless of the day of the week this time of year.

Amber Gold
02-23-2020, 07:26 PM
Hey everyone
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for me getting back on late. Long day and forgot about the post.
I wired it myself a couple years ago. Been working fine since. It was running for a week before I shut it off for 15 min. Fault code when I tried turning it back on. All I could find is the fault code is for an internal error and to call tech support.

I called Clayton and he picked right up. After some phone calls, a new VFD is needed. He met me bright and early this morning and in was the third guy there.

I tried calling Lenze, but they were closed. Going to call them Monday, and try to work through the issue. Best case, they can help me get it running, and I'll have a backup VFD.

DrTimPerkins
02-24-2020, 07:43 AM
...a new VFD is needed. ...I tried calling Lenze, but they were closed. Going to call them Monday, and try to work through the issue. Best case, they can help me get it running, and I'll have a backup VFD.

I suspected that would be the outcome. Internal fault means something failed in the electronics = non-serviceable in the field. We've had it happen with other VFDs and after a bunch of trouble-shooting the answer always seems to be "get a new one" or at best, replace some board.

We've had a lot fewer problems after moving our VFDs and pumps into a heated space. WAY easier trouble-shooting them too (less frozen fingers).

In any case, glad Clayton was able to get you running again and hopefully you'll be able to repair the original unit at a low cost for a backup.

GeneralStark
02-24-2020, 08:03 AM
With the price of basic VFDs generally being so low, my opinion is that it is worth having a second as a backup. Think of it as an insurance policy to keep critical equipment going.

Hopefully there is a repair for the failed one that is cheap and easy....

DrTimPerkins
02-24-2020, 08:44 AM
With the price of basic VFDs generally being so low, my opinion is that it is worth having a second as a backup. Think of it as an insurance policy to keep critical equipment going.

That is the way we approach things. Redundancy and backups to all critical equipment, spare room in tanks (or spare tanks) for the big runs if/when a problem occurs, and phone numbers programmed in our cell phones. Given the maple season consists of 8-10 moderate and 5-8 major runs each year, you can't really afford to miss any of them.

GeneralStark
02-24-2020, 09:22 AM
That is the way we approach things. Redundancy and backups to all critical equipment, spare room in tanks (or spare tanks) for the big runs if/when a problem occurs, and phone numbers programmed in our cell phones. Given the maple season consists of 8-10 moderate and 5-8 major runs each year, you can't really afford to miss any of them.

Yes and in addition to spare VFDs I someday hope to have a spare vacuum pump and releaser, RO, evaporator and perhaps a spare sugarhouse or two.... and perhaps a spare of me so when I get tired I can send them to work. I guess that is what my daughter is for though at 14 months of age she isn't much help yet....

DrTimPerkins
02-24-2020, 10:13 AM
Yes and in addition to spare VFDs I someday hope to have a spare vacuum pump and releaser, RO, evaporator and perhaps a spare sugarhouse or two.... and perhaps a spare of me so when I get tired I can send them to work. I guess that is what my daughter is for though at 14 months of age she isn't much help yet....

We do have a spare vacuum pump (and a backup liquid ring pump to that) just in case, a spare submersible pump for our RO, and a spare VFD. We tend to divide our woods into sections, and instead of having one huge pump we'll run a couple smaller pumps side-by-side, but have them plumbed so we can easily run two sections off either pump if necessary or when we need to shut down for maintenance. No spare RO, but we do have an extra frontpan for the evaporator just in case. We do try to keep some spare seals/O-rings around just in case, and sometimes a pump motor or we'll check to be sure the manufacturer has a spare on the shelf just in case.

As for me...I've been out of the raising kids business for a while now, but daughter is expecting our first grandchild this summer, so will likely be traveling to Ohio a good bit in the next few years. At work I'm handing off some of my duties to technicians and the Maple Operations Manager...so probably won't be boiling this year or running the woods research chambers much, and will begin handing off more of the administrative duties to Dr. Abby over the next 1.3 yrs before I cut down to 1/2 time for a few years. Got a lot of analysis and writing to do, so no problem keeping busy.