PDA

View Full Version : Tap root question

JYb.shopteacher
02-21-2020, 07:02 PM
So I keep hearing people (some Youtubers, some fairly reliable folks) talking about the best place to tap is above the “tap root”. Is there any actual proof to this? Or is this legend? I can’t say in my years of Sugaring I have ever had this in thoughts while tapping.

Big_Eddy
02-21-2020, 08:00 PM
...the best place to tap is above the “tap root”...
Well, seeing as the tap root is underground, above is better than below.

But other than that - it is nonsense. Tap in new wood and move around the tree from year to year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

buckeye gold
02-22-2020, 05:55 AM
Everything on youtube is right :lol:...."not" As far as Maples go they don't even have a true tap root. Walnuts do. A true tap root is one main big root that is more or less an extension of the trunk into the ground.

DrTimPerkins
02-22-2020, 08:17 AM
It is a myth...same as tapping under a large branch or always tap on south or west side of the stem. There is no evidence that these practices increases sap yield either on gravity or on vacuum. Spread the taphole around from year to year to avoid cluster tapping, which WILL result in LESS sap.

heus
02-22-2020, 08:47 AM
Yeah I know that my maples have no taps roots. I have 170+ year old sugars that are literally "sitting"on the ground. I dont think any of the roots go more than a foot into the ground. I know this because I have lost probably 100 mature maples from blowovers after my aunt had her woods logged off next to ours.

JYb.shopteacher
02-22-2020, 10:17 AM
Thanks all, I do a little YouTubing, and as I do my Syrup VLogs I like to only talk what I know. I do know that Maples do not have said tap root, and flow is not dependent on root or limb. I really just appreciate y’all confirming, Happy Sugaring

Big_Eddy
02-24-2020, 08:01 AM
Check out this link for some pictures
https://onmaplesyrup.wordpress.com/2019/03/08/ontario-maple-syrup-production-report-march-8-2019/

and this one https://onmaplesyrup.wordpress.com/2016/02/04/maple-sap-is-flowing-briefly/

cjf12
02-24-2020, 07:49 PM
90% of roots are are within the top 18" of soil. This may change slightly due to clay or sandy soils. Trees have a tap root for a very short period in their life right after sprouting from seed. You'll never find a "tap root" on a mature tree.