PDA

View Full Version : Oil Tank Build - Does the rear part of the pan scorch?

TonyMo
02-21-2020, 08:20 AM
Greetings,
I'm currently putting together an oil tank evaporator. I will be using a flat 2'x4' pan.
Here's my question: with the rear of the pan pushed up against the vertical part of the tank, does the vertical end of the pan get scorched with the sap boiling/splashing?
should I leave an inch or so gap and/or add some insulation to protect the end of the pan from heat or is this not a concern?

Here's a photo (not my evporator). It's the area I have highlighted in red that is my concern.

maple flats
02-21-2020, 09:34 AM
If too close scorching where it splashes up is likely. Try to leave 1-1.5" space and slide either a piece of tin between the pan end and the stack or even better some 1" thick ceramic insulation board.

dadtkm
02-21-2020, 09:09 PM
Hey TonyMo , your build is very similar to mine and yes it will scorch. The gap on mine is maybe one half inch. I batch cook so my pan gets a quick wash between each batch , and the sap scorch comes off fairly easy.

dadtkm
02-21-2020, 09:26 PM
20943Here is what I have

TonyMo
02-22-2020, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the replies! I will cut the vertical arch back another 1" (I got a new plasma cutter :D) to leave a gap. I am using Roxul comfortboard to insulate the inside, so I have lots.

Dadtkm, I like your preheat idea of using copper tubing in that area. How much of a coil do you have? It's hard to tell from the photo but is it just a side ways "U" with one bend? How much does it raise the temp of the sap?....I guess I just high-jacked my own thread....

EDIT: just saw your other post with another photo. Looks good!
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?33829-Sap-Preheater-Pic-for-Eberzin

Diesel Breath
02-22-2020, 10:41 AM
I too used comfortboard insulation on the vertical arch back.
But it is inside the firebox, resting on heavy angle steel and fastened
with stainless nuts,bolts and fender washers.
It got hot during my test boil, but not scorching hot.

dadtkm
02-22-2020, 11:06 AM
Thanks TonyMo. I like being able to remove the pre heater when I am done adding sap . There's 13 to 15 feet of 3/8 tubing reduced to 1/4 to restrict the flow. Works good for me , don't think I could hold my hand under it.209552095620957