PDA

View Full Version : Bricking new evaporator arch

Lensman
02-20-2020, 11:19 PM
Howdy - Thought I would share some photos of my first attempt bricking my new arch. This is the final dry fit before I take the bricks out and move the arch out to my shack. First time ever doing this so I am open to any suggestions or thoughts....

tcross
02-21-2020, 06:06 AM
the only suggestion i'd make is you may want to leave a little extra room on the top row of your bricks. i only say that because once you add the mortar between the brick, you may run tight on room... i only say that due to experience! when i did mine, i had to cut an extra 1/4" off to the top brick. That aside, looks like you've done a great job!

BAP
02-21-2020, 06:16 AM
What is the evaporator? Is it drop flue or raised flue?

berkshires
02-21-2020, 09:39 AM

Look at his last picture.

berkshires
02-21-2020, 09:44 AM
Howdy - Thought I would share some photos of my first attempt bricking my new arch. This is the final dry fit before I take the bricks out and move the arch out to my shack. First time ever doing this so I am open to any suggestions or thoughts....

Not so much a suggestion as a question: Is there a reason you made the firebox so long? It looks like you have the flues sticking out into it about a foot. If it were me I'd worry about them getting damaged every time you load wood. I also wonder if that overhang might not boil as hard, since the gasses aren't being pushed up between the flues.

Gabe

Lensman
02-21-2020, 10:07 AM
the only suggestion i'd make is you may want to leave a little extra room on the top row of your bricks. i only say that because once you add the mortar between the brick, you may run tight on room... i only say that due to experience! when i did mine, i had to cut an extra 1/4" off to the top brick. That aside, looks like you've done a great job!

Yeah that is one thing I was wondering was how much space the mortar will take up. These are pretty tight so you are probably right, thanks!

Lensman
02-21-2020, 10:09 AM

Oops should have added that! It’s a CDL 18”x60”, drop flues in the back pan.

Lensman
02-21-2020, 10:32 AM
Not so much a suggestion as a question: Is there a reason you made the firebox so long? It looks like you have the flues sticking out into it about a foot. If it were me I'd worry about them getting damaged every time you load wood. I also wonder if that overhang might not boil as hard, since the gasses aren't being pushed up between the flues.

Gabe

Came this way from CDL and hitting the flues with wood is a concern of mine. Over the flat of the firebox they are only maybe 6” at most, then the ramp starts. The flues are pretty tight to the sides and the bottom in the back, will see how it goes for boiling.

woodguyrob
02-21-2020, 12:55 PM
Yeah that is one thing I was wondering was how much space the mortar will take up. These are pretty tight so you are probably right, thanks!

You did a nice tight brick job there, I bet you don't need mortar. If anything a quick coat on the seams.

Lensman
02-21-2020, 07:34 PM
You did a nice tight brick job there, I bet you don't need mortar. If anything a quick coat on the seams.

Thanks! That would be great if it works out like that, running out of time and fast!

woodguyrob
02-22-2020, 07:01 PM
My Dauntless has no mortar tight bricks no problem. 1" ceramic insulation behind the brick.

Lensman
02-24-2020, 09:28 PM
Got the arch moved out to the shack and the bricks mortared in. I did end up having to make some space for the mortar on a couple bricks but worked out. If I were to do it over I would not cut quite so tight in a couple spots...All goes well should be ready for test boil this weekend.

tcross
02-25-2020, 05:36 AM
looks great! nice job!