PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Sap?

plummaple
12-09-2007, 08:44 PM
I am a small timer with very little time to boil during the week. I was wondering if one can freeze sap (I have a huge walk in cooler), and boil in say in July? Something to do in the summertime. Just curious.

Thanks for your response.

maplecrest
12-10-2007, 05:42 AM
you can freeze sap. punch a hole into the middle. and drain what is in there. boil that sap, thro the remaining ice away. you will have highly concentrated sap to boil. saving time in the boiling process

Pete33Vt
12-11-2007, 03:27 AM
supose you could freeze and boil in July but it would be a shame to boil what you save after freezing and end up with not quite syrup, and you never know power could go out and melt away everything.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
12-11-2007, 07:48 AM
Just doesnt sound right boiling sap in july, seems like time u got it thawed and started boiling the temp. would be up and quality might be as good??

RICH

325abn
12-11-2007, 12:06 PM
One of the things that make surgaring fun for us, is it is really the first chance of the year to get out and be productive. In July I am weeding the maters and riding the Victory, out in the boat etc etc sure would not like to be boiling.

hard maple
12-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Heck, you could even save it until the following sugar season and have a bumper crop....

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Freezing it long term will cause it to pick up some freezer taste if you know what I mean.

220 maple
12-12-2007, 06:51 PM
I usually freeze a couple gallons each spring to use if I find any mold on the syrup I save in 5 gallon canisters. I would rather use tree sap than tap water when boiling the syrup up for canning. Gallon milk jugs work real good for freezing sap. If I mess up the other direction and have rock candy in the cannisters the frozen sap comes in handy that way also. I'm not in favor of using tap water or spring water.
Mark 220 Maple