PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a 9" CDL vacuum filter?

jdircksen
02-20-2020, 07:23 AM
After 8 gallons of syrup, I still haven't figured out how to use this contraption. I'm looking for someone who has used one of the new 9" models.

-How much DE are you using?
-Are you using the finish filter + 3 prefilters?
-Do you run the shop vac the entire time syrup is in the top?

BAP
02-20-2020, 08:48 AM
I am not sure why you are starting another thread on the same subject. Have you actually read any of the advice I gave you in your other thread based upon my experience using the 12” version and actually used that advice? If you haven’t, then read it and try it, because the advice I gave you came from my trial and errors starting out with the vacuum filter last season. It should not make any difference in how you use it between the 9,12,18” size vacuum filter. I think your problem is that you are NOT using enough Maple DE in your syrup.

jdircksen
02-20-2020, 08:59 AM
Valid question. I have read it all, and tried many of the suggestions. I know you said more DE, and I put 1 cup into the last gallon and ended up with cloudy syrup and clogged filters. Other attempts with less DE have given me clogged filters and clear syrup.
I have a small brain so I want to hear from people with the 9" who actually got theirs to work. That's so it eliminates the variables associated with the 12" version.

I fully expect the end solution to be a result of user error. But the 9" model is new, and has less gadgets than the more expensive larger models. I just need some reassurance from someone with a 9" model that it does work.

Sugarmaker
02-20-2020, 09:11 AM
Jd,
Seams like a reasonable request from someone not getting stellar results from his maple equipment investment. Since I am reading that the next larger (12 inch) unit works for approx. 60 gallons of syrup per year. I would assume the smaller one would be appropriate a for 15 gallon operation.
Hopefully you will get some folks that use the smaller one to post some comments/ suggestions also to either one of your threads? Hang in there!
If your making syrup have a back up plan for everything! Stuff happens. Continue striving for quality syrup.
Keep boiling!
Regards,
Chris

BAP
02-20-2020, 09:54 AM
How have you washed your filters between uses? Are you putting them back in same side up? When you clamp the ring down on the filters, do the latched snap over hard? Sounds like some how you are getting unfiltered syrup bypassing the filter.

n8hutch
02-20-2020, 11:52 AM
How have you washed your filters between uses? Are you putting them back in same side up? When you clamp the ring down on the filters, do the latched snap over hard? Sounds like some how you are getting unfiltered syrup bypassing the filter.

9 times out of 10 if my syrup is a little cloudy after filtering it is because of the reheating process to bottle, I have a double boiler but if I'm not careful and heat it too fast I get very fine sugar sand, or if the flame for some reason gets up the side of the bottler tank I get sugar sand. If you dont have a double boiler you need to heat it very very slow so as not to make it cloudy again after filtering. Also putting your final/felt filter in the same way every time is important.

jdircksen
02-20-2020, 12:12 PM
I've been doing the above suggestions but I'll be extra vigilant I continue to wash the filters correctly, clamp the lid on tightly, and reheat carefully (the 9" unit has about 3" of dead space underneath, so when its on my electric burner the syrup is being heated by air only). Thank you for those suggestions, I'm trying to keep the troubleshooting in the other thread.

This thread is just looking for someone else with actual use of the 9" version. They were hard to find a month ago because they were selling out.

bryankloos
02-20-2020, 09:43 PM
My CDL 9” should arrive tomorrow. I expect to finish and bottle this weekend and can report back my findings.
Happy to share my experience.

heus
02-21-2020, 05:20 AM
I have not used my 9" vac filter yet but I noticed 2 things. One, the 3 clamps are adjustable. Do you have them adjusted to provide 100% force on the plate? Two, my metal plate is warped but flattens out when clamped down.

Sugarmaker
02-21-2020, 08:33 AM
Good we are getting some more testers! Awesome! Looking forward to the results. I like shiny new Maple things that work!
Regards,
Chris

canaanmaple
02-23-2020, 12:01 PM
After 8 gallons of syrup, I still haven't figured out how to use this contraption. I'm looking for someone who has used one of the new 9" models.

-How much DE are you using?
-Are you using the finish filter + 3 prefilters?
-Do you run the shop vac the entire time syrup is in the top?

I have one and use it at a bottler mainly. I cone filter off the evaporator pretty much as syrup. Bring back to temp to check with hydrometer, and then run through filter press/canner. Just did 15 gallons and never had to clean pre-filter even. Only problem is it's too small, but again, I cone filter off the evaporator first. I think if anyone does that very simple step also, they will never have an issue with that unit.

bryankloos
02-23-2020, 06:28 PM
I used it today fo the first time...
I cone filter off my evaporator and about 7F above boil.
I then pool batches and bring up to density on the stove in 2.5 gallon batches (my tests told me 2.5 gallons was far enough below the vac port to not pull anything into through the vac).
The first batch had 1 cup DE in 2.5 gallons and it pulled and cleared very well through the filter.
I changed prefilters.
The second batch was pulled through just the pre filter and orlan filter without DE. It was slower to clear and noticeably more cloudy than the first batch.
The third batch got DE as above and cleared perfectly through the vac filter.
SO, it seems that DE helps the filtration efficiency and quality.

I'll try repeated 2.5 gallon batches all with DE and no prefilter changes on my next bottling day. I'm curious how many gallons I can pull through before things gum up.

I used DE from Bascom.

Build quality was decent. Steel was heavy gauge and hefty. Weld quality was okay, but nothing to write home about.

No real complaints yet other than capacity.

jdircksen
02-23-2020, 07:22 PM
Great feedback. So just one prefilter? What kind of shop vac are you using?

bryankloos
02-23-2020, 07:38 PM
Just one pre filter.
I used my larger 6 ho shop vac.

heus
03-03-2020, 06:35 AM
My dealer allowed me to exchange the 9" (I never used it) for a 12". Sorry I wont be able to test the 9" version. I started a thread on my 12" filter.