PDA

View Full Version : A short story about ice

Mike Van
02-19-2020, 02:39 PM
Back when I tapped about 40 trees, and before I got a refractometer, I would boil everything that was in a sap bucket. Yesterday I picked up 100 gal, filled two blue barrels. Lots of chunks, some slush. I pumped what I could up into the tank, 80 gallons. Twenty gallons of ice left. I let some melt, put it on the meter, absolutely 0 sugar content. I checked the tank right after, mines been a steady 2% all season - tank was 2.2%. So, I guess over the years I lugged & boiled a lot of ice for naught - Live & learn.

wmick
02-19-2020, 03:21 PM
Thanks for this... I heard that I should throw the ice away... but sometimes it seemed like half the bucket or more.... So I've boiled a bunch of ice, for nothing as well...
My first refractometer arrived in the mail today... We'll see if it makes me look any smarter...;)

Sugarmaker
02-19-2020, 03:36 PM
Generally ice is just the water. But some ice that has voids could contain some sweet too. I try to dump the ice chunks. Most of the time you will be good. and have higher sugar in the remaining sap.
Regards,
Chris

Russell Lampron
02-19-2020, 07:59 PM
Mother nature's RO!

Sugarmaker
02-19-2020, 10:15 PM
I also got a new visiual refractometor today thanks to Jim (Father and Son) Nice clear unit and the cost was under $15. Checked my ICE sap today and it was 2.2%. I dumped the ice in the containers after pumping out the sap.
Regards,
Chris

Gord
02-20-2020, 09:51 AM
Is this what you're talking about, as far as a refractometer goes? Does it work as simply as it states? They range in price dramatically. 20921

Sugarmaker
02-20-2020, 09:59 AM
gord,
yes that's the one. good clarity. will test on it more. price was under $15.
Regards,
Chris

DrTimPerkins
02-20-2020, 10:14 AM
Is this what you're talking about, as far as a refractometer goes? Does it work as simply as it states? They range in price dramatically.

Refractive measurements are highly affected by temperature. You will want one with automatic temperature compensation (ATC) or must ALWAYS take your measurements at the stated temperature. In addition, you should use proper technique to avoid errors. http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/food/inspection/maple/mple-guidance-S1-1-4.htm

Gord
02-20-2020, 11:03 AM
Clicked on all three refractometer pages from above site and got "Not Found" Maybe my computer's too old.

wmick
02-20-2020, 11:14 AM
Refractive measurements are highly affected by temperature. You will want one with automatic temperature compensation (ATC) or must ALWAYS take your measurements at the stated temperature. In addition, you should use proper technique to avoid errors. http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/food/inspection/maple/mple-guidance-S1-1-4.htm

Dr. Tim is citing Ontario Maple info?.... I'm honoured... :)

wmick
02-20-2020, 11:17 AM
Clicked on all three refractometer pages from above site and got "Not Found" Maybe my computer's too old.

Just scroll down... All the info is there, on the same page... Just the jumpy link thing isn't working...

BoerBoel
02-20-2020, 11:50 AM

Try scrolling down instead of clicking on the links.

Gord
02-20-2020, 01:58 PM
Got it. Thanks folks.

merryall
02-21-2020, 03:31 PM
So, just to be clear - even if the buckets are 90% frozen it's ok to chuck all the ice and the sugar will be concentrated in just the 10% liquid? I should have known this. Probably should have payed more attention in science class.

bryankloos
02-21-2020, 07:05 PM
How about Ice in barrels of RO concentrate (6-7% Sugar)? Is this ice all water as well, and worth of the side toss?

Shaun
02-21-2020, 07:33 PM
So, just to be clear - even if the buckets are 90% frozen it's ok to chuck all the ice and the sugar will be concentrated in just the 10% liquid? I should have known this. Probably should have payed more attention in science class.

Nope, there is sugar in that ice. We used to pile it on the flue pan to melt it and make syrup.

Big_Eddy
02-21-2020, 08:08 PM

No. Not true. With a light freeze, the ice is all water. On a heavy freeze, the ice blocks contain sugar. Transition point is somewhere around -8C.

If you save the blocks and let them thaw on their own slowly, the sugar will come out leaving just shell ice behind. Sweetest meltwater first. Water only last. At some point it makes sense to toss the rest of the ice. I taste the melt.

If you want the full scientific explanation, I can share it next week. I have the sugar water phase diagram on my other computer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

merryall
02-25-2020, 12:10 PM
thanks for the info Big eddy. I knew someone on here would have the science behind it all./ much appreciated