PDA

View Full Version : It's a sweet dilemma

buckeye gold
02-19-2020, 12:38 PM
So I hope the season is as good for all of you just getting started as it has been for me. I have made my goal in syrup and my tanks and pan need cleaned, so I typically would just say I'm done and call it a season. With just a week left until my usual end date that's what I feel like doing, but these dang trees just keep pumping good sap. Heck I had 120 gallons off 78 taps that are almost 5 weeks in yesterday. By the time I finish off my sweet I'll have made my largest crop ever. The dilemma, do I quit or just keep going. I really need to at least do a vinegar soak on my pan and take it down and clean the bottom, but with maybe just a few more days left I really would rather not. My tanks are easier as I can do a quick bleach wash any day and have. I know I'm boiling at least tomorrow and then I wil decide. All my syrup is really dark now, but filtering smooth and bright and tasting good. What a problem, huh LOL. I hope you all have similar problems.

Potters3
02-19-2020, 12:54 PM
Good for you, We haven't even drilled a hole yet. Going to start Saturday weather still doesn't look right up here, but starting to turn

David Wayne
02-20-2020, 06:02 AM
That is pretty much the same boat I am in, except I have cleaned twice so far. And the weather looks to be good for flow next week, after that I might call
it a season and shut down.

Sugarmaker
02-20-2020, 09:29 AM
Wow! Done already? Must have much warmer temps down south. We are in the freeze, thaw just enough to run a little and then freeze up again mode. Sap is still great here and the syrup is about as light in color as I have made in 60 years.
So I am going to develop a unique brand for this Golden Delicious to add some details for the consumer and hopefully we can retail a little more as the recent trend has been towards the the darker grades. My suggest is to keep going dont spend the time cleaning up as the market for dark is good. and maybe you only have a few more boils anyways.
Keep boiling!
Regards,
Chris