PDA

View Full Version : Brush fires

Brad W Wi
12-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Just wondering if anyone out there has ever had a brush fire go through their trees? How much damage does it do to the trees? I know that fires can be good for some of the pines but I'm wondering about the maples. I have a some old tree tops on the ground in my bush from a logging operation about 5-6 years back. Just wondering, I would like to hear your stories or thoughts on it.

mountainvan
12-09-2007, 06:30 PM
We had a forest fire here awhile ago. The smaller trees in the burn died fairly quickly, 2-3 years. Medium size 5-10 years, dead. Larger trees are still alive but not healthy, evry once in awhile one gets blown down. The fire burnt up the mountain and the upslope side off the trees were black. Downhill side no damage. Chimney effect. I would not suggest a fire in a sugarbush.

brookledge
12-09-2007, 09:17 PM
It would certainly ruin the pipe line
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-09-2007, 09:38 PM
I have seen first hand damage on the family's farm and there is nothing good that comes out of it except a lot of garbage and underbrush, thorns, rose bushes, etc grows back where there was once good trees.

Brad W Wi
12-10-2007, 04:52 AM
Sounds like I should clean up the tree tops that are still there. To bad they're to punky to use for firre wood.

mountainvan
12-10-2007, 06:41 AM
Try and leave them in the woods, they'll rot and put nutrients back in the soil. A chipper might be a good idea.

3% Solution
12-10-2007, 06:43 AM
Hi Brad,
Being a firefighter maybe I can help you out here.
First of all it's going to depend upon the intensity of the fire going through. If you have a low intensity it's only going to comsume the material right on the ground (mostly up to 2" in size), this is a great benefit as it will produce all the needed chemicals in the ash . If you have a moderate to high intensity fire, well as you figure, this is going to be the most destructive. It can also sterilize the ground. Also keep in mind that fire is part of the eco system, it's needed.
Now with all that said, YOU can help yourself, as you have mentioned take care of the large down dead material. Keep your orchard clean, which is good management. You want the low intensity fire, this helps clean up the floor and fertilize the ground.
Here in NH our fire season comes right after sugaring (6 -8 weeks) and most of the fires are low intensity and fast moving.
I hope this helps!

Dave

Brad W Wi
12-10-2007, 06:58 AM
I've been cleaning up the area the last year and putting it in brush piles. I think I'll burn them this winter, when there is good snow cover. I bought this property a few years after it was selective cut for the basswood and some pulp. ( The basswood was milled on site into planks for blinds). The trouble is there are still some areas where there are still tree tops laying all over. I'll just have to keep at it. I'm trying to create some trails for my tractor through it, so I can tap some more or at least different trees.