PDA

View Full Version : Bolduc Tapping Bits

JoeJ
02-18-2020, 05:07 AM
Has anyone else had problems with these bits snapping? This is the first year that I have used them and they seemed to be a great bit. But then, after 3 days and 1,400 taps, the bit broke Sunday afternoon right at the base of the twist. I was square to the tree, braced and everything else and the bit just snapped as the bit stop hit the tree. This was the first bit that I have broken in 16 seasons. Luckily, I never go into the woods tapping without a spare bit just in case.
Then yesterday, the same thing happened to my second Bolduc bit. After 350 taps, the bit broke in the same place just as the stop hit the tree. I used my spare bit to do the last 120 trees. I thought that I would be making a late afternoon trip to CDL but I found 2 new still in the case Lapierre bits back at the sugar house. I will say that after tapping another 150 trees with the Lapeirre bit, the Bolduc bits did drill faster and cleaner than the Lapierre. But what good are they if they snap like that.

Joe

maple flats
02-18-2020, 08:47 AM
Sorry, I never used Bolduc bits. I've used Leader, Lapierre, D&G and DSD, only had 1 ever break, by a hired man who said his foot slipped. Personally I think the DSD and the D&G were the best.

WestfordSugarworks
02-18-2020, 04:06 PM
Joe, we did all our tips this year with Bolduc (14.5k) and then I tapped in another bush (2k) with Bolduc also. Tapping the 2k tap bush one of the guys helping me did break one bit. When he told me he broke a bit I immediately suspected bad wood in the tree being in the culprit and it was- a smaller red maple that had brownish shavings. Overall i'm very pleased with the Bolduc bits. The day my guy broke the bit I lost mine and so we were forced to use brand new Lapierre bits just like you had to do, and I don't like them at all. Sticking with Bolduc going forward unless we find them breaking to be more of a problem. So much easier on your shoulder.

DrTimPerkins
02-19-2020, 11:16 AM
We use primarily Lapierre bits these days and like them (good for about 2,500 taps), but have used Bolduc bits in the past and liked them a lot. Never had any Bolduc bits break. We've broken some Lapierre bits, but only when doing weird things like retapping/reaming research studies.

eagle lake sugar
02-20-2020, 08:25 AM
I tried tapping bits from MES this season and really like them. I'm not sure what brand they are but like almost everything they sell, they're less expensive than the others.