PDA

View Full Version : Very foamy boil occasionally

Woodsrover
02-17-2020, 06:19 AM
So I boiled about 650 gallons of sap Saturday and Sunday morning. I run a 2x5 arch with a 3' drop flue sap pan with a steam hood and a 2' 3-section finish pan. I like to run my stack temp about 750-800 degrees and things seem to run really well at that rate of fire. I run my sap through an RO to 4%-5%.

Was boiling about 5 hours Saturday when I noticed the finish pan was really foaming up a lot more than usual. (I'm vary sparing with my anti-foam and have probably only used 4oz over 4 years) The few drops of anti-foam I usually get away with wasn't really helping. The only thing that did was to calm the fire down to the point I was only running 500 degrees out the stack. After about an hour and a couple draws things seemed to settle down and I was able to run my normal temperature.

The same thing happened yesterday for about 45 minuts. Things were going as they normally do and then it started to get very foamy again. Calmed the fire down like the day before and it was okay. After a while it calmed down I was able to crank it up again.

Anyone had that happen to them? Seemed kind of strange as it all sap out of the same tank.

Ed R
02-17-2020, 06:56 AM
Add a couple of drops of defoamer to your flue pan each time you fire and see if it helps in your front pan

Sugarmaker
02-17-2020, 08:04 AM
I would agree with Ed adding a drop in the back pan each time you fire will probably be enough to keep the foam down in the front pan.
Keep boiling.
Regards,
Chris