PDA

View Full Version : re: ATV Trailer

marlmucker
02-16-2020, 04:15 PM
I have a small trailer for my ATV that I typically use for wood. This year I will be using it to haul sap. Has anyone ever tried fabricating skies for under the tires, and if so, does it work?

I've watched a couple of YouTube videos and it seems to be okay, but neither video showed them towing the trailer using the tires as comparison.

Big_Eddy
02-16-2020, 05:00 PM
How much weight you plan to carry will determine the size of skis you need. Longer skis will float much better than short ones as long as you can avoid twisting forces.

I would think removing the wheels and replacing with skis would be easier and much better than trying to attach skis to wheels. For typical 4 or 5 bolt trailer wheels just make a matching plate to bolt to the hub. For lawn trailer type wheels with internal bearings, remove the cotter pin and then slide them off. Use a pipe sleeve on the skis and slide over the shaft.

For 500 lbs I would think you would want skis 6" wide x 24" long or larger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

maple flats
02-16-2020, 06:59 PM
I think if you are handy you can rather easily attach the skis with the tires in place. Just look at bush planes that attach skis as needed but use the tires when appropriate, they attach with straps or chains and have a check chain to keep them from tipping too far in either direction.

whatever
02-17-2020, 09:47 AM
I've done this. buy two more rims without tires. weld them on the rim and bolt on and haul. i used older steel snowmobile skis. if you put plastic ski skins on it will slide a little better.

wmick
02-17-2020, 10:38 AM
I've done this. buy two more rims without tires. weld them on the rim and bolt on and haul. i used older steel snowmobile skis. if you put plastic ski skins on it will slide a little better.

Ditto - I have an aluminum trailer that I haul behind the ATV,,, I made some Stainless skis welded to a spare set of rims... and it works great behind the snowmobile... The trailer is about 4' x 6'... Skis are about 60"' x 8".

However - I've also been thinking about making a set for my 4x8 utility trailer that will strap on to the tires... So I can haul it down the road and quickly strap the skis on to go to the bush behind the tractor.... I haul sap down the road from a friend's bush, a couple miles from home.