PDA

View Full Version : How deep to insert spiles?

Jim Foster
02-16-2020, 08:49 AM
Been putting them in about 1-1/2". Is this correct?

Jim

Jim Foster
02-16-2020, 09:07 AM
Also, where is the cheapest place to buy spiles? Either throw always or re users?

Jim

maple flats
02-16-2020, 09:08 AM
Drill the holes about 2" deep without any wobble to the drill bit, then tap them in lightly only until the sound changes. They will not all be in the same amount, just use a light tapping hammer (or I use the flat side jaw of a lineman's 7" pliers). The sound change tells you when it is good.

Jim Foster
02-16-2020, 09:51 AM
Drill the holes about 2" deep without any wobble to the drill bit, then tap them in lightly only until the sound changes. They will not all be in the same amount, just use a light tapping hammer (or I use the flat side jaw of a lineman's 7" pliers). The sound change tells you when it is good.

Where does everyone get their spiles from?

Jim

30AcreWoods
02-16-2020, 10:16 AM
I'm not sure where you get them in NE. Here in New England, almost every hardware store and farm and garden store carries them. We also have places like Bascom, Leader, etc. All the big ones have an online presence, and you can mail order them for delivery. Not sure if you are looking for plastic or stainless, and how many.

Also, a few years back I grabbed a rawhide mallet from my jewelers bench and found that it is a great tool for setting my taps.