PDA

View Full Version : Wye in 3/16 tubing.

craigwade2005
02-14-2020, 05:37 AM
After multiple failed searches I’ve decided to post here. I’m running 3/16 tubing to some trees on a hill behind my house. Total run to the tank is about 500 feet. At the very top of the run there are 4-5 trees off to the far left I’d like to tap. Can I use a wye fitting and a short run of 3/16 to grab those trees. Unfortunately the layout doesn’t let me run the line over to grab them, and it’s not feasible to run 500’ of tubing for a few trees.

buckeye gold
02-14-2020, 06:19 AM
A "Y" is not recommended and will interfere with your flow, but you can do it. Is there a way to incorporate them into the run in any way. If they are at the top the lateral can be even or go slightly up hill. The natural vacuum will pull the sap. If they are way off the grid then you have two options: Run a new lateral to them or run a lateral from them to a mainline catching both runs at a downhill point (probably 5/16th would do.). The third option is buckets, but that defeats the idea of a line. One question is; how important are 5 trees to your production? You don't say how many taps you have. I have multiple situations like this and simply pass those trees, a few trees here and there aren't going to change my production that much when weighted against the effort to collect them.

BAP
02-14-2020, 07:02 AM
It will work. It is not the “Ideal” way, but sometimes you have to do what you need to do to get the trees on the line. You may get a little bit less sap than running a separate line to them, but you will definitely get more sap than not tapping them at all.

maple flats
02-14-2020, 07:57 AM
As long as your main 3/16 line has good drop in elevation, just tap those 5, run to the uphill start of the rest and have it just be a longer single line. The exception might be if you are up over 35 taps doing that on one line, then find a way to split it into 2 lines, about half on each.

30AcreWoods
02-14-2020, 09:50 AM
I second Dave's suggestion. I have this exact situation, it pulls a high vacuum on the "downhill" taps. The most taps I have on a single 3/16" run is 32, and when I run the numbers, I haven't noticed any drop in production of sap/tree/season over those runs with fewer taps but same vertical drop.

craigwade2005
02-14-2020, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. We’re a very small first year operation, and the slope is super aggressive. ( Greater than 45 degrees in some areas) It looks like I’ll skip the “y” and see if I can grab those trees with one line.

Z/MAN
02-14-2020, 08:08 PM
I have read that y's shouldn't be used and have tried them. They didn't work very well for me. Now can someone explain the reason that they don't work very well? Sap being pulled down the main lateral by vacuum should naturally pull the sap from the Y. Anyone??

30AcreWoods
02-15-2020, 09:12 PM
Here is a thread from a number of years ago that begins to get at your question:

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?24270-Help-setting-up-gravity-line-50-taps-at-top-of-hill./page3

Z/MAN
02-15-2020, 10:16 PM
Here is a thread from a number of years ago that begins to get at your question:

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?24270-Help-setting-up-gravity-line-50-taps-at-top-of-hill./page3

That sort of answers that question, Thanks

to100
02-16-2020, 09:40 AM
If no “y” then what if a “T” is used instead. Would this not work?

30AcreWoods
02-16-2020, 09:48 PM
Based on the sketch that Dr. Tim provided in that previous forum chat, a tee isn't optimum, either. I will say that I do use tees with up to 3 taps into the "main" 3/16" line that snakes between trees on the way to a collection barrel, and it works well for me. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it is because I have plenty of vertical drop AFTER the last tap to the collection barrel. Or/and because I keep my tap count to around 30 or less for each run. I suggest you give it a go and see what results you obtain. Every sugar bush, every location, and every line is different. It is amazing what can work for some people in their unique situations. Let us know how it goes.

mol1jb
02-17-2020, 07:26 PM
I have about 15 per 3/16 laterals. I am like 30acres and also run long drops to 2-3 trees if it is not advantageous to take the main lateral to them. I have not had any problems of bottle necking sap with this.