devils11217
02-13-2020, 09:19 PM
How do I keep my evaporator from banging and bouncing syrup all over the place

18mile
02-13-2020, 09:47 PM
How deep is the sap in the pan?

Russell Lampron
02-14-2020, 05:21 AM
Try running the sap deeper and keep it defoamed.

maple flats
02-14-2020, 08:11 AM
Also, how high are the sides of your pan? When I ordered my custom pans I had the sides made 4" higher than standard just for that reason.

maple flats
02-14-2020, 08:15 AM
At this point you might want to make or get made an extension , full wrap to set on top of the pan. Leader makes something long that line for the hottest end of some of their flue pans, just design one to set on top with a lip down on the inside all in one piece. That might do well.

devils11217
02-14-2020, 08:42 AM
Soon after I post this I started building some niter in the bottom of the front channel and had a hard time getting it up to draw temp after. Time for a cleaning I guess, maybe the building of niter started making the syrup bounce. First year with a ro, running around 1 inch deep.

Sugarmaker
02-14-2020, 09:10 AM
I would say you may have found the issue with the niter build up causing syrup to explode from the niter getting hot and fracturing. Clean the pan and see if it still happens. Change sides if your system allows that.
Regards,
Chris

Flatpan1
02-14-2020, 10:13 AM
i have had the same situation this year, niter build up is very heavy this year, is there any relationship in the depth of syrup and niter deposit in the syrup pan? Or if you got it you got it.

maple flats
02-14-2020, 10:47 AM
I have never experimented with different depths, I run a 1". I do notice a big difference in niter from year to year. Some years it is loose for long time, others it gets baked on hard, some years little niter others very heavy niter. Apparently this is going to be a heavy year. I have not tapped yet. Looking at my extended forecast, I plan to start tapping about a week from tomorrow, the weather then looks good for most of the rest of the month. Since I cut back on my number of taps, I'm waiting until the weather looks good to tap. I will have 400-450 this year and can tap in just over 1 day. I I was younger, I could have tapped it in about half that time.

HillsideMaple
02-15-2020, 09:48 AM
I've also had this phenomenon happen in my syrup pan. Seems to be from niter build up causing hot spots possibly. When this happens I usually clean the inside of the pan along with cleaning the soot off the bottom of the pan.

RC Maple
02-15-2020, 01:36 PM
i have had the same situation this year, niter build up is very heavy this year, is there any relationship in the depth of syrup and niter deposit in the syrup pan? Or if you got it you got it.

I would agree with this. Starting with my second boil, I noticed niter on the bottom of the syrup section. It is still just in the syrup section and it will come off without leaving vinegar sit in there, but it takes some work with a plastic scraper. I have never had niter form so early in the season like this! I run my depth at one inch just like usual. We are making some great looking light syrup but it foams more and doesn't respond as well to the butter I use for defoamer. We haven't had any real problems yet but I wouldn't want to turn my back for too long.:o