PDA

View Full Version : 2020 season

tonka
02-13-2020, 07:29 PM
Just checking when you guys are all thinking about starting to tap? Seeing in the end of the extended forcast temps are starting to climb into the 30s. I'm located west-central part of the state, NE corner of ottertail to be exsact.

SDdave
02-14-2020, 07:57 AM
Preliminary date for me is going to be Feb 22nd. One week ahead of normal starting times. Temps look good, but have an opening between running kids that looks even better!

SDdave

Keitha333
02-15-2020, 07:04 AM
I will wait until we get closer to this warm-up that is coming to see how long it is going to last. If it looks only to be a few days and have a cold snap after it (current forecast) I will wait. The fun thing is hopefully it is getting close!

Tacotrav
02-15-2020, 10:25 PM
I put in 11 taps today! I am planning to do a dozen tomorrow.

ChaskaSap
02-20-2020, 07:29 AM
There's a new greenhorn on the block! My 2 acres with 30 some mature virgin maples are in for a reckoning. Saturday is my kickoff day. I have 15 taps and buckets in hand, cheese cloth, and a new a 75000 btu burner waiting in the wings. Hoping for the best with my first time creating the sweet nectar. I'm giddy!

sweet acer
02-20-2020, 01:55 PM
2nd year in gravity. Checked hoses on snowshoes today. It is a bear breaking trail, snow is deep and hills are taller this year. I am going to wait to put taps in even though its suppose to get up to 40 for a few days.

Greenfin
02-22-2020, 10:56 PM
11 in today, 5 produced sap.

tpathoulas
02-22-2020, 11:14 PM
16 taps in today. 10 dripping others all had wet wood. I was little surprised by the sap dripping already. Another 140 going in tomorrow with about 1/2 on gravity.

ChaskaSap
02-23-2020, 05:31 AM
15 tapped yesterday all but one dripping. Decided to put in another 15 this morning.

Bombadil
02-24-2020, 05:36 PM
I'm located in East Central Minnesota Princeton area 37 TAPS in today only three of them were not ripping the rest ran well.

ChaskaSap
02-24-2020, 08:08 PM
Good day! All 29 taps running, some are slow but majority doing pretty well. Got nearly 20 gallons sap yesterday and today so started boiling this afternoon. Hoping for another good day tomorrow before the 5 day chill sets in.

Islander
02-28-2020, 05:39 AM
I’ll start with a ‘test’ tap tomorrow. If it drips I’ll keep going. First weekend in March is about average for this operation.

thomashansen871
02-28-2020, 05:53 AM
I have my totes cleaned out, i have to clean out my barrels for the concentrate, i do plan on tapping this weekend. I am in the southern metro are.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

RileySugarbush
02-28-2020, 07:38 AM
We will tap tomorrow. Looking good!

tonka
02-28-2020, 01:48 PM
I'm planning on start tapping tomorrow as well, have about 2,000 taps to go through plus some other miscellaneous stuff to go through and get ready before the trees start running. NE corner of Ottertail County.

Jeeves
02-29-2020, 11:45 AM
Hey Good Neighbors! First post here, although I've enjoyed this site for some time, I never took the time to register until a few days ago.
I've tapped maples for many years and it has always been fun (and lotsa work).

The last few years I have focused my efforts on black walnut which is also a really good time as well as an opportunity to learn the nuances
of collecting and processing this fine treasure. The flow from black walnut is less than maple but the season is the same and the sugar
content is similar.

I tapped a couple test trees about a week ago and got a few drips but not enough to warrant proceeding. Today I am tapping 13 more as the
weather is forecast to be ideal for the next 10 days out. I'll keep ya posted. Best of all to everyone, Jeeves

Marj
03-01-2020, 05:21 PM
I tapped 10 black walnuts today and was excited to see sap dripping immediately from all taps. The sap flow from black walnuts is significantly less than from maples but the syrup is delicious! I only have one very large maple on my 20 acre property and am considering taping that as well, although it is a bit of a hike to the tree. Does any one have an idea about how much sap I would get in a day? It is at least 30" in diameter... huge!

Keitha333
03-01-2020, 06:10 PM
I tapped 50 trees this morning and had about12 trees running today. They weren’t dripping hard maybe a couple gallons between them all. This upcoming week especially the last part of it looks good! This was near Milaca

thomashansen871
03-02-2020, 06:08 AM
I put taps out on Saturday, 2/29 and on Sunday I put the rest of my bags up, total of 98, and I collected 25 gallons of sap from Saturday's tapping.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Schnep's
03-02-2020, 07:19 AM
I put a few (25 )taps out Sunday. All but 1 were dripping even deep in the woods they were running. Looks like it will start the end of the week. One of the earliest we have tapped. Got 75 more taps to go. On the south end of Mille Lacs Lake.

Keitha333
03-02-2020, 05:22 PM
So I went and collected today and ended up with 6-7 gallons which was better than I thought it would be. Nothing to write home about but what was fun was trying out my new refractometer. I always thought my silver maples that I tap were higher sugar content than what they were "supposed to be" and they tested out at 3.5%. More than happy with that although it is early! Kind of a fun cheap tool.

ChaskaSap
03-03-2020, 07:49 AM
This is my first year doing this...I'm near the cities and have 29 taps dripping. I put them in during the last warm spell (about 2 weeks ago) and had decent flow, collected about 50 gallons. Because of the cold weather last week it all but came to a halt until Sat/Sun, but the flow hasn't been anything near what it was 2 weeks ago. Hoping it picks back up with the warmer weather this week and I didn't put them in too early.

ThiefCatcher
03-03-2020, 04:40 PM
I put in 40 taps today SW of Hutchinson and all the taps were dripping. There was still a decent amount of snow in the woods, but there was open ground around the trees. I hope to do my 1st boil of the season this weekend.

Keitha333
03-03-2020, 07:45 PM
Chaskasap I would think you are okay. Mine haven't been on fire either and I put them in Sunday morning. I got 10 gallons on 50 taps today. I do have one tree that we call the giver tree. Every time the jug is plump full.

ChaskaSap
03-03-2020, 09:47 PM
Thanks Keitha333 and you were spot on. The taps are starting to open up. Got nearly 30 gallons. The fire 🔥 is burning tonight.

ChaskaSap
03-05-2020, 10:24 PM
I officially produced my very first gallon of filtered clear syrup (10 pint size jars to be exact) tonight. Feeling it! Whoop! Whoop!

RileySugarbush
03-05-2020, 10:34 PM
I officially produced my very first gallon of filtered clear syrup (10 pint size jars to be exact) tonight. Feeling it! Whoop! Whoop!congratulations! First of many!

RileySugarbush
03-05-2020, 10:37 PM
Sweetened the pans and made 3 gallons of great tasting syrup tonight. Here we go!

Keitha333
03-06-2020, 06:39 AM
I officially produced my very first gallon of filtered clear syrup (10 pint size jars to be exact) tonight. Feeling it! Whoop! Whoop!You will only upsize whatever you have from here on out!

SilverLeaf
03-06-2020, 04:30 PM
Howdy everyone! Early start this year caught me off guard. But we are all systems go for first boil this weekend. Hoping things cool off a bit after this crazy warm spell coming our way. Good luck all!

SDdave
03-06-2020, 09:03 PM
You are not to late! I'm sitting on 6 gallons so far on the season. Trees have been pumping out 3+%. The wind yesterday was horrible, about half of the taps where flopping in the breeze today. Ugh. Its fun though, right?!?

SDdave

Islander
03-07-2020, 09:04 AM
Planning the first boil on the new rig today. Tapped 30 last weekend with 40 gallons in the tank so it will be a shorter day than we're used to.

21139 21140 21141

Keitha333
03-07-2020, 04:30 PM
Looks like you did a fine job on your new evaporator! Best of luck! Sap was flowing here today!

ChaskaSap
03-07-2020, 07:21 PM
The warm weather is nice but the taps have shut down. Forecast looks better for dripping on :-|Monday.

DocsMapleSyrup
03-07-2020, 08:08 PM
Just tapped in today. Nice run. We'll see how the season goes. Good luck to everyone!

RileySugarbush
03-07-2020, 10:28 PM
Strange Chaska, we must be close and we had a great run today, right up until sundown. 500 gallons to boil tomorrow!

Lano75
03-08-2020, 12:59 PM
Kaiser Farms is in the mix! Tapped 71 on gravity last Monday and left for a trip Tuesday. Friday night we boiled down 220 gallons with one draw. Yesterday we boiled down another 102 gallons and made about 3 gallons of syrup. We also tapped our remaining trees 32 bringing the total for this year to 103 taps. Looking like another 50 to cook tonight!

Jeeves
03-08-2020, 05:48 PM
We've done maple for the last 2 + decades. The last 5-6 years we have been focused on black walnut. We are on the south side of the
Minnesota Landscape Arboretum and have a few neighbors that also tap maples. The Arb also taps 300 to 400 maple trees every year
and a few black walnuts.

This year has been a true puzzle. None of us within our 2 mile radius have experienced much flow at all this year to date including the Arb.
Most of us have been tapped for 1 to 2 weeks. Maple and black walnut have both been meager to say the least. Hopefully this will change.

On the bright side, the sap we have processed has been relatively high sugar content (3.1%). Oh well, fingers crossed.

Good luck to everyone and best of all, Jeeves

ChaskaSap
03-08-2020, 08:11 PM
Hey Jeeves
I’m a few miles south of you just off of 212 & 41 and with the exception of this weekend and the cold spell last week I’ve had pretty good luck. My 29 taps have produce 120 gallons thus far. My trees are all maples. Looks like really good forecast the next couple of weeks....hoping those walnuts start up soon for ya.

RileySugarbush
03-08-2020, 08:23 PM
We are close, just about 5 miles east of that Arboretum on Riley Lake. Big flow the last couple days. We boiled down 500 gallons today to 15 gallons of syrup. Great season so far!

Jeeves
03-08-2020, 10:19 PM
We are close, just about 5 miles east of that Arboretum on Riley Lake. Big flow the last couple days. We boiled down 500 gallons today to 25 gallons of syrup. Great season so far!

Wow John! That is some fabulous sugar concentration in that run of sap. Most excellent good neighbor.

RileySugarbush
03-09-2020, 02:21 AM
Wow John! That is some fabulous sugar concentration in that run of sap. Most excellent good neighbor.

Ha, It would have been! That was a typo, should have been 15 gallons, not 25! That comes from boiling for 10 hours! I’ll correct it.

Jeeves
03-09-2020, 07:12 PM
Still... 3% sugar is mighty good!

My black walnuts are just now getting the message that it's okay to start flowing.
Hopefully they'll keep it up and not go on strike for a while.

ChaskaSap
03-09-2020, 09:21 PM
My maples have been shut down since Saturday morning. Hoping with the cold weather tonight they’ll turn back on. Good news is with my little operation I was able to get all the sap boiled down. 120 gallons sap got me a little over 3 gallons syrup. Im thinking about 5 gallons before I pack it for the season.

RileySugarbush
03-09-2020, 10:36 PM
You Chaska neighbors are welcome to stop over and visit when we are boiling sometime.

ChaskaSap
03-10-2020, 07:27 AM
You Chaska neighbors are welcome to stop over and visit when we are boiling sometime.

Hey John
I may take you up on your offer. Let me know when the fires lit.

Thanks
Christopher

Jeeves
03-10-2020, 11:57 AM
Hi John & Christopher, Sounds great. My schedule is quite flexible. Thank you, John H. (Jeeves)

RileySugarbush
03-10-2020, 04:18 PM
We had empty tanks Sunday night. Nothing ran to speak of yesterday. But this afternoon it let loose. Running great and we should have plenty for Thursday evening. I’ll let you know.

ChaskaSap
03-10-2020, 06:59 PM
We had empty tanks Sunday night. Nothing ran to speak of yesterday. But this afternoon it let loose. Running great and we should have plenty for Thursday evening. I’ll let you know.

Same thing here John, I had nothing Saturday&Sunday&Monday, but today the facet turned on. Best day of the season!

SDdave
03-10-2020, 08:52 PM
I personally give Johns tour a two thumbs up. I was impressed with how the neighbors each had a specific job, and let me in on the action! The filter press and bottling was mind boggling, especially when you are still cone filtering.

SDdave

ChaskaSap
03-11-2020, 11:26 AM
I personally give Johns tour a two thumbs up. I was impressed with how the neighbors each had a specific job, and let me in on the action! The filter press and bottling was mind boggling, especially when you are still cone filtering.

SDdave

Looking forward to it. Like you Dave I'm filtering through a cone like brewing coffee. It works but a little time consuming.

RileySugarbush
03-11-2020, 04:56 PM
Very good run today. We will be sugaring tomorrow evening ( Thursday, 12 Mar) if you Chaska guys want to stop by. Probably starting around 4 pm. North shore of Riley Lake. 9000 Riley Lake Road.

Jeeves
03-11-2020, 06:42 PM
Flow is steady right now, not great, but at least it is consistent. Last year it gushed. Still it seems odd that my immediate area is so slow in coming (both maple and black walnut) compared to results from the areas just 3 to 5 miles away. Perhaps this correlates to what we in the wine business refer to as terroir?

By the by John (from Riley Lake), this Chaska Guy will most likely stop by tomorrow after 4. Thanks so much for the invite. Best of all, John H. (Jeeves)

ChaskaSap
03-11-2020, 06:51 PM
Very good run today. We will be sugaring tomorrow evening ( Thursday, 12 Mar) if you Chaska guys want to stop by. Probably starting around 4 pm. North shore of Riley Lake. 9000 Riley Lake Road.

I’ll be heading over some time around 6:00 if that works.

Odd after a great day yesterday I got very little today. My trees seem to be on a different schedule.

warners point
03-11-2020, 07:40 PM
The sap finally started running in McGregor. 200 gallons over the last 2 days. Now I'm hoping that it doesn't freeze solid in the Bulk tank before we can cook on Saturday. It's supposed to be single digits Friday night.

RileySugarbush
03-12-2020, 09:38 AM
Good news for you, Bill. I hope you have a good year. As you can see, we have been off to a great start. The taps on bags have stopped here after the warm night, but the 3/16 lines on the shurflo is still putting out close to 3 gallons an hour. And unlike last year, everything so far has great flavor.

The sap finally started running in McGregor. 200 gallons over the last 2 days. Now I'm hoping that it doesn't freeze solid in the Bulk tank before we can cook on Saturday. It's supposed to be single digits Friday night.

ChaskaSap
03-13-2020, 09:21 AM
I’ll be heading over some time around 6:00 if that works.

Odd after a great day yesterday I got very little today. My trees seem to be on a different schedule.

John,
Your operation is amazing. Seriously thank you for having us over and giving the tour, we REALLY enjoyed it. Also a big thank you from Michelle for the Native American photo she is thrilled to show her 2nd graders. She talked about it all the way home.

Keitha333
03-14-2020, 08:49 PM
Boiled 165 gallons worth last night and today. Reduced it with my new RO to about 90-100 gallons first and couldn't be happier with it. I was able to "boil" while I slept and worked...I will finish it up tomorrow. I was sketchy about putting in the $250 to the RO but it saved me in one boil about 8 hours time and wood. Won't ever go without one now I'm hooked!

Shorty
03-15-2020, 02:38 AM
I boiled down 150 gallons last night which took me 10 1/2 hours without RO

Keitha333
03-15-2020, 03:53 PM
I boiled down 150 gallons last night which took me 10 1/2 hours without RONice work!

rcarlson
03-16-2020, 03:55 PM
Because of the Coronavirus I have been asked to work from home. My sugar shack happens to have Internet access. So as part of my self-quarantine, I’m now “working from the sugar shack”. I’m thinking of adding a few more taps.

ChaskaSap
03-16-2020, 05:29 PM
Because of the Coronavirus I have been asked to work from home. My sugar shack happens to have Internet access. So as part of my self-quarantine, I’m now “working from the sugar shack”. I’m thinking of adding a few more taps.

rcarlson
I'm working from home as well, my sugar shack is my front porch, and I have to say it's nice to do some boiling while working.

Keitha333
03-17-2020, 08:02 AM
Because of the Coronavirus I have been asked to work from home. My sugar shack happens to have Internet access. So as part of my self-quarantine, I’m now “working from the sugar shack”. I’m thinking of adding a few more taps. I will be off and on as well. The most I have ever made was 7.5 gallons and always called it a season before the trees were done....considering gong for it this year!

ChaskaSap
03-17-2020, 12:34 PM
Things are flowing extremely well in Chaska. It's about double the output of any other day. I'm at the point where there sap is coming faster than I can boil. I think I may be calling it a season soon. Looks like I'll walk away with between 6-7 gallons. Life is good!

RileySugarbush
03-17-2020, 06:47 PM
Big day! 16 gallons of syrup in 8 hours! Total for the year so far.....54. Still over 200 gallons of sap on hand.

Jeeves
03-17-2020, 06:54 PM
Hey Christopher, I would gladly stop by and pick up any sap you may not want to finish. I may be willing to trade you for some black walnut or a portion of what I boil off of yours. If not. I'm glad you had a prosperous first season. Best of all, Johnny (Jeeves)

Jeeves
03-17-2020, 07:03 PM
Big day! 16 gallons of syrup in 8 hours! Total for the year so far.....54. Still over 200 gallons of sap on hand.
Thanks so much for your hospitality John. I truly enjoyed seeing your very well thought out and executed operation. Cheers to you and your fine family and neighbors.
Jeeves

ChaskaSap
03-17-2020, 09:09 PM
Hey Christopher, I would gladly stop by and pick up any sap you may not want to finish. I may be willing to trade you for some black walnut or a portion of what I boil off of yours. If not. I'm glad you had a prosperous first season. Best of all, Johnny (Jeeves)

John
Certainly. I did take the bags down but can very easily put them back up. I’ll run out now and rehang them. I think you could get 15 -20 gallons a day.

ChaskaSap
03-17-2020, 09:23 PM
John
Certainly. I did take the bags down but can very easily put them back up. I’ll run out now and rehang them. I think you could get 15 -20 gallons a day.

Johnny
10 bags are back on the trees. I can store up to 40 gallons in my white 5 gallon buckets.

SDdave
03-17-2020, 09:49 PM
I can't believe I am saying this, but I think I have to seriously think about pulling the plug this weekend. The sap has been great running strong and high. Todays 90 gallons was at the season low of 2.6%. I'm currently at around 17 or 18 gallons finished. It's a banner year down here, just getting worn down and starting to forget the daily chores of rinsing and washing.

FYI the buds are just opening enough for the "atennae" (spelled wrong I think) to pop out. Couple more weeks and the flow will stop to a trickle for sure.

Keep going strong!
SDdave

RileySugarbush
03-18-2020, 11:21 AM
Thanks so much for your hospitality John. I truly enjoyed seeing your very well thought out and executed operation. Cheers to you and your fine family and neighbors.
Jeeves

It was my pleasure meeting you and Christopher. And we have enjoyed sharing some of your Walnut syrup. You may hear from a friend who has more sap than he can boil from out in Dahlgren. We normally take it, but we are flooded and will run out of wood before sap! We have another 300 plus to deal with today.

JDsap
03-18-2020, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=We have another 300 plus to deal with today.[/QUOTE]

You make it sound like it is work:D

Jeeves
03-18-2020, 12:19 PM
It was my pleasure meeting you and Christopher. And we have enjoyed sharing some of your Walnut syrup. You may hear from a friend who has more sap than he can boil from out in Dahlgren. We normally take it, but we are flooded and will run out of wood before sap! We have another 300 plus to deal with today.
Hi John, Black walnuts have been a real disappointment this year (mine and the Arbs as well). Little fits and starts and very little production. What we have made has been very nice and quite high sugar content. I have not had much to boil this year and am feeling the need to boil off some sap just to satisfy my yearly bug. The season isn't over as yet so I may get another round out of the walnuts.
Christopher has wrapped up his operation and has left 10 bags on his trees and will save me 20-40 gal. which ought to be enough to make me feel a little more productive.
I have your friends number and will give him a call and thank him for his offer.

RileySugarbush
03-19-2020, 12:41 PM
We had a marathon session yesterday. 2 pm to midnight, but we got the tanks empty for the upcoming too warm/too cold weather. And another 17 gallons of syrup!.

tpathoulas
03-19-2020, 07:28 PM
I cooked 275 gallons to day. I have 500 stored plus what is in the bags and barrels that will be cooked this weekend. Taps are getting pulled Saturday and Sunday. It's been a great year in southern MN.

ChaskaSap
03-19-2020, 10:05 PM
Just wrapped up my 1st season and it was way more successful than I could have imagined. A little over 8 gallons. After thoroughly filtering I ended up with a clear deep red colored syrup.

RileySugarbush
03-19-2020, 10:27 PM
Just wrapped up my 1st season and it was way more successful than I could have imagined. A little over 8 gallons. After thoroughly filtering I ended up with a clear deep red colored syrup.
Congratulations! That’s a fantastic first season!

Lano75
03-20-2020, 05:57 AM
Current Statistics for 2020:

71 on 3/16 gravity
32 on buckets

1,258 gallons of sap collected

28.5 gallons of syrup filtered and bottled in glass (New Smoky Lake Filter Press 2020)

Keitha333
03-20-2020, 07:02 AM
Wow! Nice job guys! My taps have not seemingly been as giving a little north of you. I boiled 170 gallons last weekend and have currently just shy of 100 gallons stored. Hoping this coming week they will let loose a little bit more and get almost double what I currently have for a good boil next weekend. This is on 50 taps. The number of gallons you guys have is very impressive!

Keitha333
03-22-2020, 06:31 AM
A positive to this cold stretch is I have been able to dump a lot of ice from the barrels I guess. Glad to have hobbies like this during these times that is for sure! I hope everyone stays healthy!

Lano75
03-24-2020, 04:47 AM
Fellow Sappers!

Had a nice run Sunday of 100 gallons and 176 gallons Monday. Sitting 39 gallons bottled and 1534 gallons of sap collected. We should get a run on Thursday, Friday and Sunday if the forecast holds. Sunday Monday might be the last day.

WRAcres
03-25-2020, 02:37 PM
Keitha333, How far north are you? I'm 15 miles above Duluth and having only meager flow so far. Like almost none.

RileySugarbush
03-25-2020, 05:13 PM
We are having a really special season. Last night we made an another 11 gallons, bringing our season total to 94 so far. We have far surpassed our record from 2017 of 65 gallons. And our sap hasn't been particularly sweet, just good at 2.5 to 2.7% The trees are just giving it up this year. The shurflo and 3/16 tubing has been super, When running it is a 23 in Hg and we have had good production several days after the last freeze many times.

Thanks to some friends dropping off some nice split wood, we will go on for another couple boils.

Keitha333
03-25-2020, 05:56 PM
Keitha333, How far north are you? I'm 15 miles above Duluth and having only meager flow so far. Like almost none. I am Just south of MIlle Lacs Lake in Milaca. My brother is tapping on the farm we grew up at in Cromwell and he has had like 50 taps out for a while and maybe just hit double digits for sap. This coming week looks good for you guys though.

Lano75
03-26-2020, 06:13 AM
Fellow Sappers! Kaiser Farms update!
Tuesday we boiled another 88 gallons down. We took last night off but we bottled. Sitting at 47.3 gallons in the bottle from 1,622 gallons of sap 34:1. We will boil tonight and tomorrow hopefully. 3/16 natural vacuum is the game changer. Will pull the soft maples on Sunday I think. With the stay at home order we will leave the hard maples in until sap goes south, maybe make it to Easter Sunday. Stay tuned.

Keitha333
03-27-2020, 07:06 AM
Keitha333, How far north are you? I'm 15 miles above Duluth and having only meager flow so far. Like almost none.

Looks like you guys up north will have ideal temps for quite some time if the long range forecast holds!

680Apple
03-27-2020, 09:12 AM
Hope everyone is having a great year! My last boil was this past Sunday and the syrup is still quite clear. But thinking about pulling the taps this weekend given the forecast. What is everyone else doing around the West Metro area?

SilverLeaf
03-27-2020, 09:43 AM
I see that I picked a good year to increase my tap count. Excellent year here as well. So excellent that I couldn't keep up with filtering on my primitive gravity system and had to have a filter press express shipped to me. Funny how this hobby keeps finding new ways for me to drop big wads of $$. :lol:

Buds on my silver maples are open, flowers are just peeking out, and the sap is starting to turn. I'm pulling taps this weekend.

RileySugarbush
03-27-2020, 10:34 AM
Hope everyone is having a great year! My last boil was this past Sunday and the syrup is still quite clear. But thinking about pulling the taps this weekend given the forecast. What is everyone else doing around the West Metro area?

We have about 400 gallons to work on today. May get that done. I bet the trees with bags are done with the warm weather coming, but the vacuum tubing has been a real bonanza this year and may run for another couple days.

Islander
03-28-2020, 07:25 AM
Pulled the taps Thursday and did the final boil. Have a little finishing left to do but the season will close just over 13 gallons on the new rig. The limiting factor this year is bottles because my sugar supply in Michigan shut down until at least mid April from covid. Learned our new problem is not enough trees for this giant rig! When building it I listened to the advice someone posted which was build as big as you think you can grow into and we did. Guess I’ll have to get to know a few more neighbors :)

Keitha333
03-28-2020, 08:52 AM
Pulled the taps Thursday and did the final boil. Have a little finishing left to do but the season will close just over 13 gallons on the new rig. The limiting factor this year is bottles because my sugar supply in Michigan shut down until at least mid April from covid. Learned our new problem is not enough trees for this giant rig! When building it I listened to the advice someone posted which was build as big as you think you can grow into and we did. Guess I’ll have to get to know a few more neighbors :) Good to hear you like your new rig! I like you pulled my taps to and am now finishing this morning my last batch. I was considering going longer as well but with the covid order and stuff going with it I just decided to to pull. I have to drive a little ways to get my sap. My last 80 gallons I brought to a vet friend who usually taps but did not due to his mother's health, but now he can't go see her and had to give all his med supplies to the state and is limited at work. Nonetheless he now has time and something to keep his mind sane. I will report back my final counts.

Keitha333
03-28-2020, 12:50 PM
Just got done finishing and got 6.25 gallons. Total for the year is 11.25 gallons on around 375 gallons of sap boiled down. I will take it!

DocsMapleSyrup
03-28-2020, 08:40 PM
A little update from Esko. We gave our first 95 gallons of sap to a fellow sapper due to work, weather outlook, and a little too big of a rig. Since then we've collected 210 gallons which is boiled. Sugar content has been from 2.5%, 2.8% and 3.2%. Syrup is the lightest I have ever had. Hopefully our season north of the cities will be a while longer. Looking forward to tubing next year.

RileySugarbush
03-29-2020, 09:07 AM
We finished boiling yesterday. The trees are still running, at least those on tubing. But there is a whiff of buddiness from some of the sap from trees on top of the hill and I don’t want anything to do with that. So I’m pulling the plug.

What a crazy season! Our production is near twice our record on a bit fewer taps. I think it can be explained by lucky good weather and all new 3/16 tubing, drops and spiles. The shurflo was very effective with a pretty tight system. Regularly pulled 25 inches of Hg on 78 taps. I kept it running 24/7 even through freeze with one or two exceptions.

Syrup is lighter than normal for us, no terrible flavors like last year, most very good.

Totals are 108 gallons from 78 taps on tubing and 162 on bags.

Tapped Feb 29 and pulling on 29 March.

Good luck to all of you further north!

warners point
03-29-2020, 08:02 PM
We are up to 20 gallons for the season. We used our Deer Run RO for the first time and absolutely loved it. It was nice to not have to cook for 14 hours. We got 6 inches of heavy wet snow that knocked the power out but it will result in some amazing sap runs this week.

Schnep's
03-30-2020, 07:44 AM
WE are at 28 gallons and hope to get a couple good days to finish up a record year. We taped the first week of March(it has been long).Syrup has been all dark but good flavor. We had 10" of snow and a lot of wind(lots of branches and some trees down) lost power on and off yesterday.On the south end of Mille Lacs.

warners point
04-02-2020, 07:09 PM
We've collected 500 gallons this week. Saturday and Sunday are shaping up to produce another 300. We will end up having a record year after last years record year of 40 gallons. It's been a strange year. Three out of the 4 weekends that we cooked we have had to deal with temps of 15 or colder.

Keitha333
04-06-2020, 07:11 AM
Keitha333, How far north are you? I'm 15 miles above Duluth and having only meager flow so far. Like almost none. Wondering if your trees ever started? My Brother in Cromwell said not all of his trees deep in the woods have let go a drop. The trees with access to sun have been running for him.

rcarlson
04-09-2020, 10:01 PM
This is our 4th year of Maple Syrup. We did almost 13 Gallons of syrup on 80 taps.

BigPine
04-10-2020, 10:50 AM
At about 100 taps, sounds like we are similar size. I do mine alone, the Wife supports and does hands on when we bottle.
My biggest bottleneck was cooking, and although I can get up to 15 gph evaporarted, the start up and shut down makes for a long day - I'm 67yo.
BIG change this year! I bought the 'r/o bucket' and it has cut my cook time in HALF. You can google it - they even have an Ad on here, as well as a 'thread'.
I almost never get 3% sap, so you can imagine what this does as far as cooking goes.

Schnep's
04-13-2020, 08:27 AM
Big Pine how big and where did you get the bucket RO. I think I need to go that route next year(too many late nights) I can only cook about 6 to 8 gallons per hour. We finished with 32 1/2" gallons of syrup on 100 taps.I didn't test sap at the beginning but the last 4 -5 batches sap was running at 3 to 3.2 percent

BigPine
04-13-2020, 08:39 AM
Schnep's, where are you located? My sugar bush is 4 miles north of Garrison on US 169. If not to far away you could come up and see what I have.
We would certainly honor safe distancing, but I could show you.
Are you working? I will be r/o'ing today from about 10am - 2 pm. I am internet 'connected' at my sugar bush.
Otherwise, I can email you with info and photos - send me your address - mine is: rulost@outlook.com

Big Pine how big and where did you get the bucket RO. I think I need to go that route next year(too many late nights) I can only cook about 6 to 8 gallons per hour. We finished with 32 1/2" gallons of syrup on 100 taps.I didn't test sap at the beginning but the last 4 -5 batches sap was running at 3 to 3.2 percent

Schnep's
04-13-2020, 09:22 AM
Cove Bay on 27 across from public access , I am working from home 3 days a week while this is going on. Maybe after this is over I can come up and look at it and get your input. My email is mschnep@artifexmillwork.com

Lano75
04-19-2020, 07:40 AM
Ended the year 4/18/2020. I have posted our production results for the year.
101 trees 103 taps
2,834 gallons of sap
77.4 gallons of syrup
36.6:1 Ratio
.75 gallons/tap

Greenfin
05-09-2020, 10:34 PM
Sap started flowing 2/22/2020ish
Pulled taps on 3/31/2020
350 Gallons of Sap Approx
12.5 Gallons of Syrup
54 Taps on 37 Trees