PDA

View Full Version : epoxy lined drums

Valley View Sugarhouse
12-05-2007, 08:51 PM
does anyone know anything about epoxy lined drums?? Are they ok to store syrup in (do they discolor it )? I have a chance to buy a bunch of used ones pretty cheap. Any input would be great...

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
12-05-2007, 09:02 PM
I've never used them, but have heard that if there is any ding/dent in them it cracks the epoxy coating and causes rusting. Just what I've heard.

sapman
12-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Some of the first bulk syrup I ever bought was in an older epoxy lined drum. Ever since, I tried to stay away from them. Chunks of what appeared to be the lining coming off, were all through the syrup. It's a good thing I was filtering it all again! Bascom's sent me home with a couple of the 5 gallon containers like this also, and they seem pretty nasty, too. Commercial syrup only, in those!

Just my one experience.

Tim

gmcooper
12-06-2007, 08:53 AM
I've got 2 brand new ones over head in the sugar house. Never used them.
I bought just to have for the one year we have a bumper crop. Since buying them we have bought bulk in epoxy lined drums twice and both drums had lining floating in syrup. Years ago we had several drums with epoxy and never had any problem with the lining. I don't know what changed but I remember the first drums were well used and dented but still appeared fine. The newer ones I have heard are more of a problem. Just my thoughts.
Mark

Almost forgot to add if they aren't currently being used for syrup or food product you have to be very carefull about what has been in them. Also if they have been sitting unused for a spell they may have an odor that will ruin syrup.

Russell Lampron
12-06-2007, 11:57 AM
If you ever tasted the syrup that comes out of those epoxy lined cans that Bascom's sells it in you would steer clear of the drums.

Russ

maplecrest
12-08-2007, 03:54 PM
when i started drumming syrup, i bought a dozen of them new, i have two of them left. they are great for comm. syrup. but for fancy and med amber, the black color of the drums tends to heat the syrup up and darken the color. and if left in the sun light it will darken two grades in days. the coating comes off if dented and the metal rusts and makes a mess of syrup. for what you would pay for those you can get galv used.

TapME
12-08-2007, 04:36 PM
I know this a little off the subject, but what could a small producer use to store syrup in other than canning jars? I ask as we may make 25 or more gallons this year. Keeping the grade up on the syrup would be nice and cost is also a factor. thanks Lou

mountainvan
12-08-2007, 07:17 PM
I still put a lot of syrup up in the 5 gal containers. I use the blue ones, the white pails, and the metal containers. The grade may change a grade in the plastic, but light amber is over rated. I've used some of the blue ones for 10 years, just clean and dry them as soon as the syrups out. Russ, The syrup from N Alstead is like that cause they mix buddy syrup in with the good stuff, at least that's what I've heard. Most people don't know any better, only those of us with truly discriminating palates!

Russell Lampron
12-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Van, The flavor and smell was more like epoxy than the bitter burnt taste of buddy syrup. It smelled bad too. The stuff that I bought was canned up and went as wedding favors to a customer that got married in NY. They must have liked it because I never got any complaints. I am just glad that I didn't have to sell it to any of my local customers.

Russ

Father & Son
12-08-2007, 08:10 PM
I store mine in 2 1/2 gallon plastic containers I get from a bee keeping place called "Mann Lake". I then put them in a chest freezer and can the syrup when I need it. These containers take the heat and cold real well and they are easier to handle than 5 gallon.

Jim

sapman
12-09-2007, 10:57 AM
When starting out, I was advised by a smart old-timer to get used pickle jars from diners/restaurants. They worked great! One year I had 75-80 of them full. They usually seal when hot-packed, and when stored in the dark, they held their grade well. I still use them occasionally in certain instances. One problem could be is that pickles may be packed in plastic these days, but not sure about that.

Tim

Lwood
12-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Father & Son,

Do those 2 1/2 gallon containers hot pack ok?

Father & Son
12-10-2007, 04:21 AM
I filter first so I would imagine it going into the container around canning temperature, no problems so far.

Jim

VA maple guy
12-17-2007, 11:19 PM
Lou, get yourself a few five gallon Cornelius Soda Kegs. They are made out of stainless, they seal well, and you can get them of ebay for about ten or fifteen bucks each. Gerry