PDA

View Full Version : Collection Tank

tappin&sappin
12-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Last year I used a poly 50 gallon tank to collect roadsides with (about 50 taps). On good runs, I would have to head to the house, empty it and then go back and get the rest.

This year I'd like to have about 100 roadsides, and need a bigger tank. I'd like to buy one of the 210 or 325 gal poly tanks, but as we all know, they aren't cheap.

Last year I acquired a large (150+ gal) galvanized tank when I bought my evaporator. With the concern on lead solder... Should I risk using it? The sap would only be in it while I gathered (less than an hour). I'm going to try and get one of those lead testing kits to see what I'm up against, but wanted to get some opinions.

- Jake

tuckermtn
12-05-2007, 09:03 PM
In my opinion, you already brought up the key issue- the sap is only in the tank for less than an hour...if its an older Leader/Grimm/King gathering pail, you will likely find lead in the solder with the test kit...

another option might be to try and seal the seams of the tank with some of the cambridge coatings epoxy...we are planning on doing that with our older buckets, then re-galvanizing with a food grade cold zinc galvanizer...

to me the main concern with lead (and I am not a chemist and I didn't stay at a Holiday inn Express last night) is when you have lead in evap pans/canners which heat up and have a longer exposure to the syrup/sap..

we did get our syrup tested last year- 1/2 the state allowable, but I still want to try and get it lower...

-tuckermtn

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-05-2007, 09:16 PM
I wouldn't be concerned about it!

sapman
12-05-2007, 10:11 PM
I have about 500 galvanized buckets, and everything else in the process is stainless, except for a few brass fittings. 3 or 4 years ago, the state stopped in and bought a quart to test for lead. They sent me the results, and it was only 75ppb, with 500ppb being the legal limit, at that time anyway. So it wouldn't seem like a big concern to me, either.

Tim

super sappy
12-06-2007, 06:37 AM
Sapman- do you dump your buckets every day even if there is only a small bit of sap, or do you let them set for a day or so.with the older sap mixing with the fresh.? Just curious-SS

sapman
12-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Sapman- do you dump your buckets every day even if there is only a small bit of sap, or do you let them set for a day or so.with the older sap mixing with the fresh.? Just curious-SS
I usually will wait a day or two if there's not enough to justify collecting. The worst is when there's not enough sap in the buckets to boil, but enough to cause ice damage, and the temps are going way down.

ibby458
12-07-2007, 05:54 AM
Depending on how you'll empty it, you might get by putting in a sheet plastic liner. Won't work if you drain out of the bottom valve, but if you pump it out, it should be fine.