PDA

View Full Version : question on selling maple cotton candy in Pennsylvania...

john henry
02-11-2020, 11:55 AM
I sell our Maple Products at various festivals. I was thinking about making and selling cotton candy. I have my PA dept. of Ag license for our maple operation (which they call a limited food establishment.) I was wondering if I made it in my inspected sugar kitchen could I offer it for sale? I read over the limited food establishment for our state and it specifically mentions cotton candy as something you can make. Or are there more stipulations I will need to meet? Thanks in advance for your help!

upsmapleman
02-11-2020, 12:35 PM
I don't think you will have any problem. Many people are making it at fairs and farmers market. You will need to remit sales tax on the sales. The jury is still out as to wether you need a serve safe certificate. Some state people say you do others that you don't. I assume most of the time it will depend on your inspector.

Sugarmaker
02-12-2020, 08:28 AM
We have made and sold it at events. You could call your inspector and ask them. But I think you will be fine. Sounds like you have all your things in order. One of the way we sell it is in plastic containers as well as bags too.
Regards,
Chris

john henry
02-12-2020, 12:08 PM
Thanks for your help I really appreciate it, I think I will give it a try to see how it goes.

minehart gap
02-12-2020, 04:39 PM
John, I have asked my inspector (I have the same license that you do) and he said no problem. I can make it on site at events or at the sugar shack either one. We bought a machine and I can tell you that it sells about as fast as you can make it. Your arm will be tired at the end of the day. Give samples to get the crowd started.

Good luck

john henry
02-13-2020, 07:27 AM
Matt, that's good news I am really looking forward to trying it.