PDA

View Full Version : RO bucket

fishman
02-10-2020, 09:28 PM
Has anyone tried the RO bucket and if so what are your impressions?

30AcreWoods
02-10-2020, 11:04 PM
Fishman, There are quite a few folks on here who have the RO bucket. If you search it, you should find a lot of input. I've had one for three years now, and it works great for me. I've added an additional membrane (now have three), low pressure pump to feed the high pressure pump, and automatic shutoff switch. I have 70-120 trees tapped in any given year. I've got a system where I pump the sap in the evening, and run the RO overnight or the next day while I'm at work, and then come home and boil. For a small operation with a small evaporator, I will say the RO is a total game changer. I make almost 4x as much syrup as four years ago, and spend about the same time boiling and burn the same amount of wood. If your signature is accurate, and you have around 100 taps and a 2x4 flat pan, you won't believe how much less time you will boil. I have a system where I recirculate the concentrate until I reach about 8% sugar. That's removing about 75% of the water before I even light a fire. You will spend a lot more upsizing your evaporator to get the same production than you will purchasing a small RO system.

marlmucker
02-11-2020, 04:08 AM
I just bought one yesterday. It’s a significant investment for our small operation (150 taps approx) but I’ve read a lot about them and it should be good. I bought the RO20 kit, including the auto-shutoff.

Chickenman
02-11-2020, 04:20 AM
Love mine, and I recommend the auto shutoff switch. I wired mine with a on-off-on toggle switch. Turn it on to prime and get everything set, switch to the auto and I can leave it and do other things, gather more sap, split wood, start boiling. When it runs out of sap it shuts itself off. Great little units for the money for the hobby sized operation. You won't be sorry. The bucket guys, Dave and Carl, are great to work with and will help you in anyway needed.

antelope76
02-11-2020, 10:42 AM
This is the third season for mine and love it. Saves time and firewood. I have anywhere from 75 to 85 buckets and run about half of it thru the ro bucket.

jdircksen
02-11-2020, 10:51 AM
I have one with 30 taps. Depends how much you value your time and how much you enjoy chopping wood or paying for fuel. The RO Bucket cuts your time in half, except for maintenance of the filters.

maple marc
02-12-2020, 05:45 PM
I've got 100 taps and am wondering about this bucket RO. My usual run is 200-250 gallons of sap. Seems like the bucket might be undersized for that much sap. I'm wondering if it might be worth it to pay up and get one that can nearly keep up with my 2x6 that boils off about 28 gallons/hour. Sugar shack is not heated and gets below freezing when not boiling.

jrgagne99
02-13-2020, 01:00 AM
With 200-250 gallons of sap, I think you're better off with single-post (4x40") unit. Waterguys or build your own. That way you can process the sap each night (RO, then boil). With small scale RO, you're always 1-day behind because you're RO-ing overnight. That introduces a host of other issues, such as freezing temps, sap not as fresh, not to mention storing concentrate for 24-ish hours (not recommended). I had my own homemade RO-bucket type setup for 5+ years beginning in 2008, and have not regretted moving up to a single-post Waterguys unit, which I bought used for $1000. My run is 200 gallons/day.

NoblesvilleIN
02-13-2020, 09:33 AM
, not to mention storing concentrate for 24-ish hours (not recommended).

What is the concern about storing concentrate? This is my first year with an RB-5 (smallest one - I have 10 taps). Tuesday, I took about 17 gallons of sap (2.5%) down to 4.5 gallons of concentrate (8%) and put it in a 5-gallon collapsible water container in my fridge. When I realized last night that our weather won't let me boil until Saturday, I stuck the container in my chest freezer. What do I need to be concerned about when I thaw and boil it?

30AcreWoods
02-13-2020, 02:38 PM
Bacteria grow faster as sugar concentration (and temperature) increase. As long as you can totally freeze your concentrate, you should limit bacteria count and be o.k. In the future, you may want to freeze your sap and concentrate the night before you boil. The optimum solution is to concentrate as you are boiling and have your RO output to your feed tank/evaporator. Unfortunately, that is not a luxury many of us smaller folks can afford (yet), so we have to work within the laws of biology and physics to make it all work.

maple flats
02-13-2020, 06:30 PM
If you can store it cold enough it will last for a few days. If you just run thru 1 pass, remove 50 of the water, maybe bringing it up to 3.5 or 4% you should be good for 2-3 days if you store on the lowest shelf in your refrigerator. If you concentrate it to 5% or more you might want a colder storage, that might be difficult, your freezer would be too cold and the fridge too warm.

NoblesvilleIN
02-13-2020, 08:32 PM
Why would the freezer be too cold? I put about 5 gallons of 8% in my freezer yesterday and it痴 pretty solid now. I plan to take it out tomorrow and let thaw in my basement and boil Saturday or Sunday. What issues will I have with this plan. This is my first batch of RO concentrate.

It looks like I値l be making another ~4 gallons of 8% concentrate tomorrow that I値l just set outside to keep. I知 doing 2 passes through to reduce my storage needs. Obviously I知 a backyard hobbyist.

kboone1
02-18-2020, 03:05 PM
I have 190-200 3/16 gravity taps and can get anywhere from 300-400 gallons on a good freeze/thaw/freeze run (not to mention a couple day warm up). I have a larger pump on a 4 membrane RO Bucket kit, and like the others said, I usually start in the morning ROing and have plenty to boil at night. Obviously I probably make darker syrup than others that run a larger scale RO, but for the money I think it has totally been worth it. On smaller runs, my system keeps up with the run fine, and I only have a 275 gallon storage tote for my mainline. I am super close to my shack, and have electricity, so obviously I have the ability to babysit much more than many others. As the others said as well, Carl is great, I couldn't be happier with their customer service and helpfulness when needed! Overall, with your size, if you have the ability to turn it on and off and put it up during freezes, it's a game changer. I have mostly reds, and usually run about 1%, and if the sap is not crazy cold I can run it to 3% pretty much every time with a bit more pressure. I know that isn't recommended, but it will do it ha-ha!

Kody

GoldyCon
02-20-2020, 05:28 PM
Where did you guys find an on off pressure switch that works when you run out of sap? I saw one that shuts off when your bucket gets full but I知 not sure it works when the feed bucket gets empty.

dblact38
02-20-2020, 07:48 PM
go to the RO Bucket website Carl sells them there Low pressure shut off