PDA

View Full Version : Best height of evaporator pan from a wood fire?

Jim Foster
02-06-2020, 02:14 PM
What's everyone's opinion on the optimum height from the fire? Mine sits atop a 3 cinderblock high cooker, making the pan roughly a foot and a half off the flames.... But then again, when the fire's raging it pretty much reaches the pan. So, is this a stupid question????

Jim

fisheatingbagel
02-06-2020, 03:03 PM
Not a stupid question at all. You want the flames to be closer to the bottom of your pan. I think you're letting a lot of heat go up the chimney that far away. Search through here for some home built arches and you'll see a ramp that brings the flames closer to the pan.

ecolbeck
02-06-2020, 03:15 PM
I agree with FEB that you definitely need a ramp (assuming you don’t have one already). I think 18 is fine for spacing depending on how much wood you are stuffing in there. If there is a lot of empty space between the wood and the pan then I would say raise the grates up or lower the pan.

Jim Foster
02-06-2020, 06:25 PM
OK. Gonna build an arch now. Thanks for the info.

Jim

Milton
02-07-2020, 12:22 AM
Measured a manufactured arch today since I was building a new one. 19 inches from grate to pan

Michiganiac
02-13-2020, 12:11 PM
I am on my third generation of 275 gallone fuel oil tank arch.

Generation 1 had a fixed grate at 15 inch from grate to pan.

Generation 2 had a swing grate with counterbalances that allowed the grate to be varied during operation from 15 inch to 6 inches. It was used for 6 or 7 seasons.

Generation 3 is based off expeience of the first two - and it has a fixed grate at 10 inches with firebrick lining on the sides only. The door is only 10 inch by 11 inch - and can be opened with no loss of draft. No smoke puffs out.

The cleanout is on the flue end. 6 inch stack.

I have only tested with water - but it achieves a good full pan boil.

l3rian
08-27-2020, 09:43 PM
I am on my third generation of 275 gallone fuel oil tank arch.

Generation 1 had a fixed grate at 15 inch from grate to pan.

Generation 2 had a swing grate with counterbalances that allowed the grate to be varied during operation from 15 inch to 6 inches. It was used for 6 or 7 seasons.

Generation 3 is based off expeience of the first two - and it has a fixed grate at 10 inches with firebrick lining on the sides only. The door is only 10 inch by 11 inch - and can be opened with no loss of draft. No smoke puffs out.

The cleanout is on the flue end. 6 inch stack.

I have only tested with water - but it achieves a good full pan boil.

Do you have a thread with pictures of your setup? I've got 2 oil tanks on my trailer and looking for all the input I can find before I start cutting.