PDA

View Full Version : 6 inch flue collar

Milton
02-05-2020, 04:41 PM
Any advice on how to make a 6 inch flue collar? Making a 2x3 and not sure how to attach chimney. Trying to keep it simple. Also Looking to build a preheat box to set preheater on. What gauge metal should be looking at? I don't want it to warp and I want good heat transfer.

Fireguy55
02-05-2020, 06:31 PM
6" Schedule 40 steel pipe should work pretty well, it will have an ID of 6.065" which should work well. When I built mine I used an 8" stack and 8" pipe worked perfect.

I was fortunate enough to work in a place that uses all sizes of pipe so I just sliced off a ring, but a local plumbing supply company should be able to cut you some for short money.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200206/d53e4723a397b821459c6077802b7abe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Milton
02-05-2020, 10:10 PM
That evaporator looks really nice. I like that idea thanks!

Milton
02-05-2020, 10:12 PM
Fireguy, what thickness steel did you use on the back plate?

Fireguy55
02-06-2020, 07:41 AM
That back portion was 1/8" thick, definitely doesn't warp and it gets warm enough that you can warm the sap a little bit.

Grabouss
02-06-2020, 09:27 AM
That back portion was 1/8" thick, definitely doesn't warp and it gets warm enough that you can warm the sap a little bit.

Does it get hot enough to heat a kettle for tea or hot chocolate? I have the option of using 1/8” or the steel from my oil tank which is a hair over 1/16”. I’d rather 1/8” for durability but not sure if I’ll get good enough heat transfer to the kettle. I’m sure it will be perfect for a prewarmer pan.

Fireguy55
02-07-2020, 07:23 AM
Does it get hot enough to heat a kettle for tea or hot chocolate?

I will actually be finding that out this season, now that I've move my setup indoors I am going to try percolating coffee on it. If I had to guess it probably would it may take a while though. The thickness of the steel will only affect how long it takes the surface to get to temperature - the thicker the steel the less amount of heat per second gets transferred so the biggest factor is how hot the back of your evaporator get. So within reason any thickness should work as long as the back of the evaporator is hot enough, it just may take a little longer to initially get to temperature if the steel is thicker.

buckeye gold
02-07-2020, 11:34 AM
I think it'll get hot enough. I have a flat on the front extension of mine and I keep a pot on it all the time, it won't boil but it gets darn hot. I actually keep sap in it. I keep my hydrometer cup in it and it's always hot. I use the hot sap in a thermos to keep my hydrometer clean and warm. I can rinse filters as well. I make my tea and coffee with the hot sap.