PDA

View Full Version : Tools for tubing

andrew martin
12-02-2007, 08:40 AM
I am going to try tubing on some small sections of my bush this year, what tools do I need to attach tubing to the varying connectors? I won't be using HT wire since these are small sections of trees bunched close together. I planned on using mainyly 5/16" and 1/2" tubing since I won't have more than 20 trees per section. I do not want to spend a fortune and I am on a budget this year. THanks.

Andrew

mountainvan
12-02-2007, 03:55 PM
The one handed tubing tool will work well for you. It's 60 or 70 $ but well worth it. Other wise a thermos of boiling water works too. Just put the end of tubing in the water, let it soften, and then slip it on the fittings.

Parker
12-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Andrew- if you use semi-ridged tubing you dont need tools,,just chew on the tubing and jam it together with your hands,tools make the job a lot eaiser and faster,if you use ridgid tubing you will have to have at least a one handed tool,,,,you can do everything with a one hander,,,,a 2 hander is awful nice for putting in drops but not 100% (pretty hard to do with a one hander) necessary,,agine alot easier and faster,,it really all depends on what type of tubing and fittings you use,if you use semiridged tubing and "Lamb" mainline t's tools are not necessary {other than a good set of pruning shears for cutting tubing and a screw driver for the hose clamps,,,)

maple flats
12-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Use a nut driver instead of a screw driver, it does not slip off the head.

Sugarmaker
12-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Parker,
Curious as to where you guys are using the hose clamps?

Chris

maplehound
12-04-2007, 08:03 AM
If you use the screw drivers that have the removable tips with the reversable shank. The shank with the tip removed makes a perfect nut driver for hose clamps. Less tools you need to cary with you.

Jim Brown
12-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Chris; On ours we use the Lambs 3/4 main line tees that have 4 connections for 5/16. Kind of look like a ' blue turtle'. They use either the hose clamp or the snap ring style clamp.If you only need 2-3 of the connection we just put a cap over the other inlets

Jim
P.S. we have the RO plumbed up and ready to run!

ennismaple
12-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Andrew- if you use semi-ridged tubing you dont need tools,,just chew on the tubing and jam it together with your hands,tools make the job a lot eaiser and faster,if you use ridgid tubing you will have to have at least a one handed tool,,,,you can do everything with a one hander,,,,a 2 hander is awful nice for putting in drops but not 100% (pretty hard to do with a one hander) necessary,,agine alot easier and faster,,it really all depends on what type of tubing and fittings you use,if you use semiridged tubing and "Lamb" mainline t's tools are not necessary {other than a good set of pruning shears for cutting tubing and a screw driver for the hose clamps,,,)

Try not to chew the semi-rigid like you would for the old style tubing as it may cause leaks. I've found that moistening the barbed end you want to insert into the tubing really helps. A 2-handed tubing tool is worth its weight in gold. We got one last winter and have assembled and installed over 1500 droplines using it. No other method of installation has been nearly as fast.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-04-2007, 12:48 PM
I am as cheap as anyone, but a 1 handed and a 2 handed tool are both invaluable in my experience, especially the 2 handed tool when you are making repairs with lines that have a lot of tension on them. I wouldn't want to be without either one as I was for in the past.

maplecrest
12-04-2007, 02:39 PM
learning the hard way. if you want good vac. do not put the tubing in hot water, your mouth, or chew you will have leaks. use a tool. it took me 20 years of saying i dont want to carry it around. it paid for it self in one day of tubing instillation and sap gained. i just bought the multi tool and do not know how i lived with out that. i used a sheetrock knife for years, and many bloody thumbs.shop around there are many different makes and prices. depends on how fancy you want your tool

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-04-2007, 09:25 PM
I put both of my tubing tools, supplies and tons of other misc tools and things in a 5 gallon bucket and carry it around and have an apron on with most of the fittings I need in it organized and handy. Little extra weight to lug, but well worth it. I run lateral lines sometimes several hundred feet and keep them pretty tight, so I don't want to take the chance of them pulling apart by putting the lines in hot water. Works fine for drops as I don't use vaccum, but I don't even usually even do it for drops.

Parker
12-05-2007, 05:29 AM
I agree with you guys 100% for a large application,,I carry both the 1 hander and 2 hander,,but i use vacuum and have a lot of taps,,,if your talking about 150 taps and no vacuum you guys would still have a $100 1 handed tool and a $200 2 hander? They are just SO expensive,,,,

ennismaple
12-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Parker - For a small operation I wouldn't bother with a tubing tool. You can force the fittings in with some effort if the barbs are moistened so for a couple hundred I wouldn't spend the money. I just cut and assembled 220 droplines last night using our 2-handed tubing tool and it took me just over an hour. We didn't have one for the first 25 years we used tubing and now I'm wondering how we lived without it!

For us it's almost doubled the speed we can install tubing. A 2-man crew used to be able to assemble about 150 to 200 taps worth of tubing a day. With the tool we can do more than that in the morning. One guy stretches the lateral lines while the other cuts in droplines that have been pre-assembled behind him. A guy that's good with the tool can keep up with the guy stretching.

I wear cargo pants so I've got lots of pockets for tees, spiles, end hooks, caps, slide fittings etc... The guy installing droplines puts about 100 in a 15 gallon garbage pail along with the tubing tool. I'm sure everyone has a different way of doing things but this is what works for us.

maplehound
12-05-2007, 12:23 PM
The 2 hander tool would be nice but I have set up 2 diffrent woods with 3- 500 taps in each woods with just a one handed tool. It does help to have someone allong to lend a hand but it can be done with just the one tool.

Dave Y
12-05-2007, 01:49 PM
With the right tool and the knowledge to use it , there is not a job that anyone Cant do! My opinion!

Fred Henderson
12-05-2007, 01:59 PM
I have both the 1 hand and 2 hand tools. If I to get along with just one, then let me keep the 2 hand one.

maplehound
12-05-2007, 03:31 PM
I made my one handed tool. Well copied it actually. I had borewed one from a friend and I had another friend who welds help me copie it. If I could afford a 2 handed tool I would definitly have one but I always have something I need to spend the money on that is more important.

maplekid
12-05-2007, 03:38 PM
do you need a tubing tool or is it just a luxery? maplehound how is the knee

Dave Y
12-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Maplekid,
If you like chewing on tubing and carrying a thermos of hot water and peckering around needlessly then its a luxury. But if you like to get your work done in a timely manner and done correctly then it is not. I wouldnt put tubing together without one.I wouldn't work on the mainline with out a mainline tool either.

Russell Lampron
12-05-2007, 04:56 PM
If you are serious about it you need to have the right tool for the job. Even a small producer would benefit from having at least one of the tubing tools. After your woods are all set up you will still need it for repairs and expansion. Did I say expansion. Who doesn't do that once the bug bites them hard? I have both but if I had to choose one I would buy the 2 hander.

Russ

maplehound
12-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Maple kid, The Knee is doing fine. I am anxious to get into the woods as soon as the deer season is over. Mean while I expect to go back to work soon.
As for your question about a tubing tool. If you are wanting to set your woods up ask the dealer that you buy your tubing from and he should lone you one. But as Russell said you will still need one for maintanince. Then it becomes very inconvenient to borrow one all the time. I do speak from experience on that. If you have any other producers near you that you know, they might also be willing to lone out there tool.