PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Shack Touring?

SanfordSyrup
02-03-2020, 03:36 PM
Hello, I have a bit of an odd request. I am interested in building a sugar shack and would like to see a few in operation. Anyone live in the mid to northern Michigan area and wouldn't mind my wife and i stopping by on a weekend to see your operation and ask a few questions about what you like best/least about your sugar shacks? Beggars can't be choosers, but we were thinking of building something in the 20' x 20' range for a wood fired evaporator. More of a hobby shack then a storefront production operation. So if you have something similar and don't mind entertaining us for a bit, send me a PM and maybe we can work something out when you are boiling.

Thanks ahead of time!

Brian

Kbrooks80
02-04-2020, 10:06 AM
I am in Lenawee county and would always enjoy visitors.

ROD 13
02-10-2020, 08:09 PM
Brian
The Bragg Family Farm is in Gaylord. We too enjoy showing our operation. I am also looking at building in the future. Email me and lets get together. I have found maple people to be the friendliest group of people. Always looking to help and disseminated information.
Rod

TapTapTap
02-11-2020, 05:45 AM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.uvm.edu/~uvmaple/sugarhousedesign.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjJkpyTtcnnAhUFwVkKHV6HCOIQFjAAegQIBBAC&usg=AOvVaw3D-2aUEiUBKhMmBxWLF0H3

Check out these plans. My sugarhouse is based on them with a 10 ft extension for a kitchen-RO room on end opposite the wood shed. I upsized the wood shed and added a lean-to addition off the side for a raw sap tank room. The raw sap tank shelter shown is too small for my operation.

Sugarmaker
02-11-2020, 07:24 AM
I hadnt seen it pop up for a while, But thanks for the link TapTapTap, The design on page 15 is the size of evaporator room I started with. Even 25 years ago the thought was to buy a larger evaporator if needed. (R.O.'s just were not as popular yet.)
I added the back room/ loft and the wood shed and have lived happily ever after. Kind of like a garage, you cant hardly build them too big!

https://i.imgur.com/i3OTn7V.jpg

Your welcome to visit us in NW PA too.
Regards,
Chris

bill m
02-15-2020, 07:35 AM
I know it may be a bit of a drive but your more than welcome to come visit my operation. You could leave on a Friday afternoon and make it a long weekend. My sugar house started as a 20 x 20 with a wood fired evaporator so I know exactly what you are looking at in terms of space and layout.

bill m
02-15-2020, 07:53 AM
Picture of my sugarhouse. Original building in front with two additions in back20844

ACfarmerNH
02-16-2020, 12:54 PM
Nice looking Allis Chalmers Chris

Woody77
02-16-2020, 08:53 PM
I'm in Elise my sugar Bush is not what you want to see but my buddy's that I re built last year is right along the line of what you'd like. Pm me or text 517 719 6235.

SanfordSyrup
03-06-2020, 07:08 PM
Thank you everyone for the replies. I’ll have to take a few of you up on your offers. Sorry for the slow reply!