PDA

View Full Version : Tubing recycling in CT or MA?

berkshires
02-03-2020, 10:26 AM
I'm considering getting into tubing. In another thread, buckey gold said:

All I will say is give it a try and decide for yourself. When your done with it take it to be recycled, my recycling center takes all mine, it's that simple.

Having to throw away all that plastic is a significant concern for me. If it's a matter of throwing away all that tubing, I'd think twice about going that route. I've investigated my town and the other ones near me, and all they seem to take is the standard single-stream curbside stuff.

Anyone in CT (where I live) or MA (where my sugarbush is) know of a way to recycle tubing? I'd be willing to pay a bit to recycle it.

Thanks!

Gabe

ecolbeck
02-03-2020, 11:05 AM
This is a good question. Given that the bottom has fallen out of the plastics recycling market, I wonder what the prospects are for recycling tubing.

buckeye gold
02-03-2020, 11:07 AM
yeah some won't take stuff if it doesn't have the emblem on it, But our waste company has a collection point for recycled and they have never questioned taking mine. First time I asked the guy just grunted and said it's plastic isn't it and I said yes It's polyethylene and he said throw in the bin. I don't know if there is any documentation on it's recycling or not. Since the take mine I don't ask any questions. I thought they'd all take it. You might ask leader or someone for documentation.

Here's a link with some info

http://cwmi.css.cornell.edu/RecyclingMapleTubing2010.pdf

Cjadamec
02-03-2020, 11:13 AM
In CT our trash is incinerated in our trash to energy plants. Sadly a lot of the recycling stream ends up in those incinerators as well.