PDA

View Full Version : Gonna try the Shurflo

newmaplah
02-02-2020, 07:17 AM
I have been reading the Shurflo posts to see what people are using for setups. Eventually having a self charging solar system with temp controller would be ideal, but to get going with a minimal expenditure I am thinking that all I really need is the pump and the battery. I would set it up with a manifold and a recirc line. Connect the battery during the day and disconnect/recharge at night. I currently have a spot with 10 taps on 5/16 that is maybe 75 feet long. I have a second set of 7 taps that I could bring to the manifold making it maybe 200 feet long. Currently have it running into its own small barrel. Both sections have at least a 4-5 foot drop in elevation. What do you think? Am I missing something?

It has been a few years since I have been on this site and wish I had been following more closely. Just a backyarder here making 10-15 gallons a year for fun and giving most of it away, but I do enjoy the challenge of trying out new things. Definitely going to set a vacuum filter arrangement as well. And maybe next year an RO setup. Great information on here. Thanks.

steve J
02-02-2020, 09:38 AM
You should add the temp control at they are relatively cheap. I think I paid less than $10.00 for mine a year ago.

newmaplah
02-05-2020, 06:08 PM
Thanks steve. Took your advice and ordered one of those too.

newmaplah
02-15-2020, 02:20 PM
Finished up the manifold for shurflo setup today. 2084920850

TreeTapper2
02-16-2020, 07:29 PM
I use a battery as well but my pump (12volt) is a good ways out from the house. I didn't want to keep carrying the battery back and forth. So I ran an extension cord ( 200') and added a battery charger to my setup. I figured the battery charger would deal with the voltage drop and charge the battery and it did.

newmaplah
02-17-2020, 12:06 PM
I was considering doing that for this trial pump. Mine will be closer to the house than you are and I am a little unsure of how good my battery is. It is older and hasn't been used for a while. I would like to avoid the expense of a new one right now if possible. If the battery doesn't hold up well - I will probably run the cord.

shmutzfreesyrup
02-27-2020, 11:45 AM
That looks nice! Do you need a tank like that with a sureflo? I have about 60 taps on a 3/4" mainline and I have never been able to get a sureflo to work with it, even with a recirc line. Not sure if I should build a releaser and a more beefy pump.

littleTapper
02-27-2020, 11:53 AM
If you can run a cord that's the way to go, the pumps aren't much draw and you can use a cheap 12 power supply (brick type) or use an old PC power supply (what I use). Mine, with manifold, is mounted all in a plastic tote and has a light bulb on another one of those cheap 12v thermostats to keep it from getting below freezing inside the tote.

Also be sure to add a strainer before the pump. With a recirc line on a needle valve you should be able to pull plenty of sap. Mine will pull 27" no problem (4008) and it really woke up my silver maples.

There are a few pics of mine in my gallery (2017 season) if you would like any visual references on how it's setup.