PDA

View Full Version : signs

ctjim
12-01-2007, 07:08 PM
does anyone know where i can possibly get a wooden sign for the sugarhouse in the shape of a maple leaf? thanks jim

PATheron
12-02-2007, 02:49 AM
CTJIM- I thought about the same thing. What I did was went on ebay and I found a molson beer sign. It is a nice size. Its metal and it is in the shape of a large red maple leaf. I think it cost me around 20$. A guy could get the sign and cut out the leaf and trace the it on to a piece of plywood or some type of wood and youde have a perfect sign. I just put mine right on the shack for now and it looks pretty good. They make a neon sign like that that would be neat but it would have the molson name on it. Just some ideas. Theron

Dave Y
12-02-2007, 06:27 AM
ctjim,
Go pick up a maple leaf in the yard or woods. Then trace it on to atransparincy
and the you can project it as large as you want it. traceit on to your wood and cut it out with a scroll saw. No to maple leafs are the same . you will have an origianal

hard maple
12-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Make your own, that's what I did.
Both of the signs on my pic page, I made.
The metal ones are overpriced, and it's nice to have a custom sign for your sugarhouse that's unique.

Revi
12-04-2007, 01:26 PM
We made some signs using that special sign painting plywood. I like the idea of a sign in the shape of a maple leaf!

super sappy
12-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Alot of signmakers use 3/4 " MDO -It is plywood with a smooth paper like skin. The stuff is perfect for exterior aplications.Another board that we made exterior trim out of was called medex board.(like MDF) the stuff is supposed to last forever . If you want to carve a sign you can glue up mohagony with poly resin. It will last along time and mohagony carves well.-super sappy

ctjim
12-09-2007, 10:54 AM
heres my idea. i have a piece of rough cut as the back ground which matches the shack wood, i may go w/ a nicer grade wood just to make it a bit more quality looking though. i will then trace on a large maple leaf and sugarshack logo then use dremel tool to carve out the designs then paint them and finally coat it w/ laquer or poly urethane.

ctjim
12-16-2007, 06:58 PM
well my sign is almost complete, still needs another coat of polyurethane. i used a piece of rough cut and then took a router to the edge to give some detail, then found a nice maple leaf from the yard blew it up and made a cut out to trace on the wood. after tracing out the outline on my wood i used a wood burning tool and burned in the leaf design. i then used some natural color stain and stained the wood to a nice golden color, after that was dry i painted the leaf design red and then stenciled in the "sugar shack" logo to the left of the leaf. i'm now in the process of putting on the poly urethane to protect the wood and give it a nice shiny coat. i'll post some pics after x mas as this is a gift for another member on this site who is also my family/ shack owner.