PDA

View Full Version : CDL non barbed spouts

calvertbrothers
01-28-2020, 07:18 PM
I just picked up some non barbed spouts . Just wondering if it freezes will the tap be pushed of the tubing? And is there vacuum leaks on these styles spouts?

blissville maples
01-28-2020, 08:54 PM
I use about 3500 a year. if it's an extremely quick freeze after a hard run occasionally there may be a couple. I question if the drop line wasn't pushed on as far or cocked sideways a bit, as the majority have no issue.

No vaccum leaks with semi rigid or flex, I run 27-29 inches all season.

calvertbrothers
01-29-2020, 05:42 AM
I use about 3500 a year. if it's an extremely quick freeze after a hard run occasionally there may be a couple. I question if the drop line wasn't pushed on as far or cocked sideways a bit, as the majority have no issue.

No vaccum leaks with semi rigid or flex, I run 27-29 inches all season.

Thanks for the information. Do you push them on by hand or use a tool?

blissville maples
01-29-2020, 07:40 PM
I usually just push them on by hand, I moisten the spout by mouth just prior and that makes it just a tad bit easier.

For droplines a cup of hot water works well for spouts and t's. Just quicker for me than using the tool.

maple flats
01-30-2020, 07:39 AM
I usually just push them on by hand, I moisten the spout by mouth just prior and that makes it just a tad bit easier.

By mouth? you are contaminating every drop. Not a good idea at all!!!

Trapper2
01-30-2020, 07:12 PM

For droplines a cup of hot water works well for spouts and t's. Just quicker for me than using the tool.
I made a few of these tools last year for gripping the tubing. I did 100 drops last night in 20 minutes putting a spout and a T on each end.

blissville maples
01-30-2020, 07:59 PM
By mouth? you are contaminating every drop. Not a good idea at all!!!

I am pretty sure the bacteria that is closing tapholes relates to yeasts, molds etc. Found within old tubing not everyday microbes- lol . I've already thought about the idea if contamination using this method and I feel this way....Microbes are everywhere before you open the bag of taps they are already in there!! What about your hands? Or just blowing up against the tree while they wait for you to tap them weeks later? Make drops inside the house and set them on the floor or truck bed?? Snow and rain are not sterile.....I mean come on now think about it.

Unless you open the bag, dip everyone in iodie or alcohol and don't touch it with anything and immediately place it in the tree- guess what there's germs on it!!! But the germs in question are the mold spores and yeast type manifestation that are already occuring in the tubing system as far as I understand and common sense can see.

blissville maples
01-30-2020, 08:00 PM
I made a few of these tools last year for gripping the tubing. I did 100 drops last night in 20 minutes putting a spout and a T on each end.

Interesting, love the ingenuity works for me!! The wood gives you a better grip than the small diameter tubing I take it.

Trapper2
01-30-2020, 08:43 PM
Interesting, love the ingenuity works for me!! The wood gives you a better grip than the small diameter tubing I take it.

Correct, I drilled out the center of the dowel a size larger than the tubing as it shrinks when you saw it length ways. I also drill the ends a 1/16 larger to make room for the bulge after the fitting is inserted.

Pdiamond
01-30-2020, 10:50 PM
What diameter size dowel did you start with? What is the length of the piece of dowel rod that you end up with for the tool. Really looks quite handy.

Pdiamond
01-30-2020, 10:52 PM
Dave, Congrats on hitting 10,000.

Trapper2
01-31-2020, 06:52 AM
What diameter size dowel did you start with? What is the length of the piece of dowel rod that you end up with for the tool. Really looks quite handy.
I used a snow shovel handle of about 1 1/8" I made 10 of them seeing that I figure I will lose a few in the woods. They vary in length from 3.5"-5.". I kind of like the 4.5" model. I will start a new thread in Homemade equipment as to not hijack this one.20640

Amber Gold
01-31-2020, 07:52 AM
I was the CV2 seasonals with no/minimal barb, and rarely have an issue with them coming off. I also question if the ones that do come off are because I didn't push them on right.

DrTimPerkins
01-31-2020, 08:08 AM
Pop offs of tubing from fittings most often results from either incomplete or improper insertion of tubing onto fittings or a mismatch between tubing size and fittings. The latter happens either because tubing is oversized (due to slight variations when it is formed) or because some companies make fittings and tubing that are slightly larger than others, so when you mix tubing from one company with fittings from another, they don't fit well.