PDA

View Full Version : Thermometers

Brad W Wi
12-01-2007, 11:01 AM
I got a new candy therm. last year and somewhere along the line I got an air bubble in it. Any idea other than tossing it on getting it back to working right?

Uncle Tucker
12-01-2007, 11:07 AM
There is a way to fix it, some thing with a lighter, I don't rember exactly but don't throw it away.
I will see if I can find the directions for mine.

Sugarmaker
12-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Brad,
Cheryl bought me a $30 digital and I really like it, I now have three. They read in .1 degrees and are easy to read. Still need to calibrate in boiling water. I have one that is 1 degree above and one which is 1 degree below.

Seems like there was post on here about your bubble problem. The answer isn't as simple as just shaking it is it???

Chris

Homestead Maple
12-01-2007, 09:23 PM
I've heard of putting a thermometer in a sock right end up and holding on to the open end of the sock and twirling it until the liquid combines again.

sapman
12-01-2007, 09:46 PM
The "mercury" in one of mine had seperated last year. I just left it alone, and one of the next times I used it, I noticed it had healed. Not sure why, but I think I had it stored in an upright position.

Tim

WMF
12-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Gently heat it over a match or lighter until the mercury goes all the way to the top and then let it cool slowly. There is a reservoir at the top that will seperate the air. Wear safety glasses.