PDA

View Full Version : Dimension(s) for a 250 gal oil tank rig

Pete S
12-01-2007, 07:21 AM
I've been looking this AM at the various posts showing 250 gallon rigs.

What is the desired depth of cut,..............as in do you cut it in "half" exactly?

Thanks!
Pete

P.S. BTW many "past post" photo posting links have gone bad, and don't work as folks have moved thier photos..............how do you find them again?

royalmaple
12-01-2007, 07:33 AM
When I was messing around with an oil tank, I cut mine right at the weld seam on one side. I then just used that as a point to cut it and went all around at that height. I would say it was a bit taller than 1/2 way up.

PATheron
12-01-2007, 06:01 PM
PeteS- I have one. Do you want me to take some pics for you to look at and put on my photobucket? Theron

Pete S
12-02-2007, 11:50 AM
If you'd be willing to, that'd be great!

BTW, I checked out your photo bucket of current shots...............WOW, very nice.

Yer livin' most "maple freaks" dreams!

Thanks again!
Pete

PATheron
12-02-2007, 02:21 PM
PeteS- My camera is screwed up but Im going to borrow my friends this week and Ill get you some good pics. Im going to redo all my pics with clearer ones. Thanks for the complinents I dont really know what im doing but im learning. Theron

Cardigan99
12-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Pete, I cut just the rounded part off the top so I could have as deep a fire box as possible

Pete S
12-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Cardigan99,

1.) What "style"/size of pan are you using?

2.) What's you approximate boil off rate?

Thanks for the reply!
Pete

PATheron
12-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Pete S- Got you some good pics of the oil tank evap. Hope they help. You can make a darn good evap out of one of those things if you work at it. The pics are on my photobucket. Theron

Cardigan99
12-04-2007, 06:06 AM
Pete, I'm using a two partition flat pan I had made up. the Dimensions are 27 wide by 54 long. We had it set up outside last year and were getting 15 GPH out of it as long as it wasn't too windy. I'm having a hood made up for it and were going to put it in the barn this year so we should get at least a cpl more GPH out of it.

Pete S
12-05-2007, 05:53 AM
Thanks so much for the information and photos!

Now, it's time to get a tank and lurk about in the junk piles!

I love homemade stuff..................especially when it werks, betterin' what I have now!

15 GPH................that's like comparing my little rig to the space shuttle, as that's about 5X what I have now!

Theron.............really like all the other photos as well...........way cool.

I would love to be wealthy enough to just "wallow" in this kind'a stuff all the time!

Definition of a JOB: "A major inconvenience between two weekends"

Pete

jemsklein
12-17-2007, 05:33 PM
or you could do what i did with the oil tank you get about 30-40 gph out of the one i made

Dave Y
12-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Pete S ,
Wealth has nothing to do with it. Just how deep do you want to go in debt.