PDA

View Full Version : Pressure gauge needed when using air pump?

johnallin
01-27-2020, 04:44 PM
I'm sure I'm missing something but kind of confused here. I'm setting up a new diaphragm pump and wondering why I need a pressure gauge.

If an air pump will "dead head" (stop pumping) at whatever pressure it is being supplied (in my case 50 PSI) is a pressure gauge needed on the filter press when the max pressure allowed on the press is 50 PSI?

In other words... if the press gets totally blocked up; can it possibly exceed 50 lbs if the pump stops pumping?

Thanks for any info- John

Brian
01-27-2020, 05:04 PM
Probably not, but it helps with knowing how the filter papers are doing. IT gives a little warning when papers need to be changed.

Russell Lampron
01-27-2020, 05:29 PM
I ran mine without a gauge (actually it had a gauge but it was broken) and with the pressure from the compressor not regulated. When the pressure got too high the syrup would squirt out from between the plates. It wasn't fun washing the syrup off of the RO room ceiling. If you're regulating the pressure at 50 psi you really don't need one but it's nice to have.

johnallin
01-27-2020, 05:43 PM
Thanks.

It's a Clear Press, so I can see what's going on with papers. I was more concerned about needing a gauge to see if it was going beyond 50 psi.

Brian -I hadn't considered installing one to be able to see pressure climb, but that's an excellent idea and for that reason I will.
Russ- "Washing syrup off the ceiling" brought back memories of some of Haynes' adventures...

thanks both of you.

maple flats
01-27-2020, 06:38 PM
I also use and find it very helpful to have an air valve right before at the pump. My compressor runs at 135 psi in another building (my shop), an air tube, 3/4" runs under ground to the sugarhouse. I regulate the air pressure where the air enters the pump. It is a small simple regulator mini valve. My filter press is recommended to run at 40 psi max, I regulate that with the mini regulator. I also have a mini shut off ball valve there too, I use that to turn the pump on and off. The compressor in my shop is turned on at the beginning of the day and off at the end, but since my power main panel is in the sugarhouse, I can and do at times shut the shop off from there by cutting the breaker feeding the shop (a 100A 240V breaker).

Russell Lampron
01-28-2020, 05:41 AM
Thanks.

It's a Clear Press so I can see what's going on with papers. I was more concerned about needing a gauge to see if it was going beyond 50 psi.

Brian -I hadn't considered installing one to be able to see pressure climb, but that's an excellent idea and for that reason I will.
Russ- "Washing syrup off the ceiling" brought back memories of some of Haynes' adventures...

thanks both of you.I figured that you had a clear press. I saw that they were rated for 55 psi max. That was one of the reasons that I went with a Wes Fab full stack press instead. If you haven't run a press with a diaphragm pump before you're going to love how you can control the speed and syrup flow with the inlet valve instead of a bypass like the gear pump presses.

johnallin
01-28-2020, 06:32 AM
I figured that you had a clear press... If you haven't run a press with a diaphragm pump before you're going to love how you can control the speed and syrup flow with the inlet valve instead of a bypass like the gear pump presses.

Thank you. I've been running this press for 5 years now, it's great...and you're right about total control with air vs. gear pump.
I'm upgrading the pump from aluminum to stainless this year.