PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum gauge

iby
01-25-2020, 07:33 PM
Can I get some recommendations on what you all use and consider reliable for vacuum gauges? Last year I bought 3 from a reputable maple supply dealer and 1 from amazon. All four are off and not reading zero this season. Is there a brand that will give reliable and consistent results year after year?

Thanks

softmaple
01-25-2020, 07:58 PM
www.directmaterial.com that's were I get all my valves and gauges.

sugarsand
01-26-2020, 06:19 AM
Mount your gauges well above the tap 3-4 feet, also we put them in a baggie and seal them with a zip tie or tape to keep them out of the moisture. Even then cheap gauges may not last.

iby
01-26-2020, 08:20 AM
thanks for the tips...

DrTimPerkins
01-26-2020, 10:11 AM
Put a small loop in the line just before the gauge to help keep liquid from moving into the gauge and freezing, which can rupture the membrane and cause them to fail.

maple flats
01-26-2020, 10:40 AM
I use the cheap gauges with good success. I do not have a loop but all gauges are 2-3' above the line it is reading. I might need to change 1 every year or 2 out of 10 in use. I will try the loop and the baggy method to see if I can get even better life.

JoeJ
01-26-2020, 11:18 AM

This is the can method that I use to protect my CHEAP vacuum gauges from Materials Direct. The can cover is a bit inconvenient when checking for leaks but finding a dead gauge way out in the woods in much worse. The can cover will last a lot longer than the plastic bags I tried at first.

Joe

upsmapleman
01-26-2020, 01:37 PM
Just something to think about. If you want to meet the new lead free standards you might be shocked by price of a lead free vacuum guage.

iby
01-26-2020, 04:08 PM
Well, I can say my gauges are 4-8” above the furthest tap in each line. No bags and no loops.
3 great ideas that I will try this season.

I couldn’t really decipher the bucket pictures and how you were incorporating that.

And lastly... when I was much younger, I used to chew on pellet gun pellets while I was playing... still alive.. if requirements force me to go completely lead free, I’ll just stop selling. I don’t make enough to warrant all that expense. I use pex with plastic fittings and pvc, mostly, but there’s still plenty of brass. :)