PDA

View Full Version : sap ladder with shurflo 4008

ac600417
01-21-2020, 07:43 AM
Setting up a new section of woods this year, and am looking for some advice on my vacuum setup.

I have about 100 taps on 5/16 running slightly downhill, maybe 5%, to a collection tank, on a shurflo 4008. The problem I am having is that it is very difficult to access with my collecting truck, and may not be doable when it starts to get muddy. I can get to a spot about 400 feet uphill relatively easy, and this spot is roughly 30' higher. Will this pump support 3 10' ladders? And if so, would i be better using the star setup or 2 tube? I am running 3/4" main. Thanks for any help.

maple flats
01-21-2020, 11:34 AM
Use the ShurFlo at the low spot, then push the sap up to the higher area where you can get to it in the mud season.

ac600417
01-21-2020, 02:43 PM
Ok, I figured pumping it up would be the easiest. With that said, do you know what the shurflo will pump for a head? I've googled a bit but am unable to find this number. The reason I ask, if I'm going to have to run down to pump anyway, I'd rather pump all the way to the sap house. This run is about 800 feet, with an elevation gain of about 100 feet. And if this wont wont work, is it ok to use a well pump to push it? I've read so many conflicting things on this with the pump being cast, but I have one I've used in years past before I really started reading this forum. Thanks

calvertbrothers
01-24-2020, 08:55 AM
Setting up a new section of woods this year, and am looking for some advice on my vacuum setup.

I have about 100 taps on 5/16 running slightly downhill, maybe 5%, to a collection tank, on a shurflo 4008. The problem I am having is that it is very difficult to access with my collecting truck, and may not be doable when it starts to get muddy. I can get to a spot about 400 feet uphill relatively easy, and this spot is roughly 30' higher. Will this pump support 3 10' ladders? And if so, would i be better using the star setup or 2 tube? I am running 3/4" main. Thanks for any help.

You have to worry about head pressure I have the same issue and have to have a pump push my sap 700 feet with a elevation of 60 feet. My solution came from a big producer that told me to run hypro D70 pump to get from pump house to sugar house. It is a diaphragm pump and is semi hydraulic. I’m going to get food grade hydraulic fluid. The diaphragms then selves are food grade material. I’m going to hooked up to a Honda 5.5 gas engine just above idle and it will work. And it can run dry won’t hurt it. Also it will ouch slugs of air through the line pushing a lot of the sap of the line so it won’t sit in it.

bill m
01-24-2020, 06:23 PM
I run vegetable oil in my Hypro diaphragm pump. Been using it for about 20 years now and no problems.

calvertbrothers
01-31-2020, 06:19 AM
I run vegetable oil in my Hypro diaphragm pump. Been using it for about 20 years now and no problems.

I just got it in yesterday I was reading the manual and is said to run 30 weight in the gear case so running olive oil would be okay? And do you switch out the diaphragm every year?