PDA

View Full Version : 3 Laterals to One Spot in Mainline

SeanD
01-20-2020, 06:57 PM
I have three 5/16" laterals that are all coming to the same spot on the mainline from the same side. There's no avoiding it. The way it all works out - tree locations, slope, etc. it's the best spot for them. This would be a good spot for a 3-way manifold (https://www.bascommaple.com/item/mtp3/) that screws into a threaded tee, BUT I have to take these lines down every year. I usually, disconnect the saddle and roll up the lateral.

Is there a better option than putting three saddles in a row with varying lengths of the tubing that loops around to the hook - so they form three concentric half-circles? I don't have a problem with it. It just seems like too much hardware in one spot and there's probably something smarter out there.

I see that CDL makes a 5/16" Quick Disconnect Union (https://www.bascommaple.com/item/ipqd/ipl_fittings/). I could try those in combination with the three-way manifold. Can those hold vacuum?

Thanks,
Sean

Amber Gold
01-21-2020, 07:37 AM
I have a few spots with a similar situation. I'd put in three saddles because you don't want one affecting the other if there's a leak or something.

I haven't used the quick disconnects before.

steve J
01-21-2020, 09:05 AM
I have used disconnects with no issues.

ennismaple
01-21-2020, 12:06 PM
Put in 3 saddles and space them out by a couple feet. The loop between where you tension to the mainline and attach to the saddle can be as long as you want.

SeanD
01-21-2020, 08:12 PM
Honestly, the three saddles is the easiest for me because I have everything ready to go - although, I am very curious about those quick disconnects. Thanks for peace of mind.

Maplewalnut
01-21-2020, 09:16 PM
I have used the quick connects with no issues.

Sugarmaker
01-22-2020, 08:15 AM
The quick disconnects work good but dont put much pressure on them. They will pull apart. Maybe there is a more robust quick disconnect that could go in a tension ed line??
Regards,
Chris

maple flats
01-22-2020, 10:09 AM
If you use quick disconnects I suggest a small SS band clamp directly over the portion that holds on half to the other. I however would just run it with no quick disconnect, then cut the line to take down, and add a regular connector to put it back up, repeat the next year. You will find that the tubing will streatch enough in a season, that cutting and adding a connector will often call for also removing a few inches to get proper tension.