PDA

View Full Version : New Releaser

tapit123
01-20-2020, 07:42 AM
Hi I’m looking to buy a new mechanical releaser for 1000 taps and was wondering what everyone recommends?

JoeJ
01-20-2020, 07:54 AM
When I started in 2003, I bought 3 Bernard mechanical releasers. I had Nothing but problems with them. Got rid of those three and purchased Lapierre (5)releasers and have used them since 2004. All releasers that are not in a shed should be covered somehow or in a shed to protect them from rain, freezing rain and snow. The only problem I have experienced with the lapierre releasers is freeze ups.( which were not caused by the releasers).

Joe

tapit123
01-20-2020, 08:07 AM
I have 2 lapierre single barrel mechanicals now which freeze every night due to not being in a building not sure if I should stick to singles or go to doubles.

nymapleguy607
01-20-2020, 08:33 AM
I would go with a Lapierre horizontal releaser. I have had much better luck with that type over a vertical releaser.

JoeJ
01-20-2020, 09:24 AM
If the single barrels are freezing, the doubles would freeze just as well. I used to have 4 out of the 5 singles outside unprotected for the first couple years that I had them. Then I build a leanto for one and just put up some tarp tents over the other 3 to keep the snow off them. They still froze up, but not with the mess of snow and ice on top of them

I used a Lapiere double mechanical releaser (the double spoon type on an arm) in my new woods in 2013. I had enough problems with the arm sticking on one side (Lapiere could not figure it out) that I put in a vertical electric releaser. The mechanical releaser was in a warm room anyway so it has work out great.

Joe

DrTimPerkins
01-20-2020, 10:30 AM
Mechanical releasers work great....until they don't. If outside, they can get messed up by freezing. Inside, the can mess up due to freezing internally (caused by leaks). We've found the Lapierre releasers to be reliable, the double-style are better than the singles typically. One of the main things to keep them operating smoothly is annual maintenance. Very light (super-fine) sanding of the rods followed by light lubricant and then wiping it off again keeps they running well. Periodic (every 3 yrs) replacement of springs/pistons is also a good idea. Might sound like a lot of work or too much money to spend, but a lot better to do it BEFORE the season starts then to find out you have a problem once the sap starts to run and it isn't going into your tank because your releaser is screwing up.

tapit123
01-20-2020, 03:04 PM
Thanks guys I do have roofs over the others to keep snow etc off. I am good about maintaining them and have had great luck with the Lapierre verticals I have and it sounds like lapierre is the way to go. I was looking at a BHR 1000 tap double barrel but might just stick to what’s been good.

VT_K9
01-20-2020, 09:21 PM
We started using vacuum in 2016 and started with a CDL vertical releaser rated for 750 taps (12 x 12). It worked great for two years. Then it slowed the third year with a fair amount of icing. I took it apart and cleaned and lubed it for this past year. It was bad with icing and seemed to take for ever to dump, even on a decent day. Then as I watched closely I noticed the sap level was getting up to the inlet ports in the main body. I kept after the lube on the moving parts. No change. After the season was over and I was in the market for a new releaser (for our new sap shack location and possibly to replace that one) I was told I should replace some of the o-rings and likely my primary float road was bent. I thought about the cleaning process and realized I could have contributed to it's bending. I also agree that o-rings do wear out and should be replaced, not just lubed. So this year I am replacing all o rings and have a new float rod.

We bought a new releaser for he new sap shack. It was from CDL and we went with a horizontal unit, 12 x 24. Rated for more taps than we will likely have, but it will allow for several mainline runs.

I can't wait to see them in action since this first year the both will have about the same number of taps (maybe 1-200 more on the horizontal).

I know there are a lot of opinions out there, the general consensus has been giving some type of cover and keeping up on maintenance (a point I learned at the sacrifice of sap production).

Mike

Russell Lampron
01-21-2020, 05:22 AM
I had a Bernard single vertical mechanical releaser that was nothing but problems. I replaced that with a Lapierre horizontal mechanical releaser and it has been great. I recommend getting one of these over a double. There are fewer moving parts to freeze up and malfunction and they will handle more taps. I've had to reglue some of the seams and I've replaced the seals in it but other than that it's been trouble free.