PDA

View Full Version : Cone filter question. Wool vs synthetic

ShaunG
01-17-2020, 04:03 PM
I get alot of my stuff from Bascom. They offer a wool 8 quart filter and a synthetic one? Does anyone know the wool filter is worth the extra money. And does anyone think the cone filter optimizer is worth it?

raptorfan85
01-17-2020, 04:32 PM
I've used both the wool and the synthetic filters. The wool was way more money. It also left Small minute hairs in my syrup after filtering. The next year I tried the synthetic and no minute hairs and the syrup was just as clear if not better.

I bought an optimizer last year. It is definitely worth it. It cut filtering time by at least half and I can probably get twice as much syrup through it before washing. If you use cone filters I would highly recommend it.

tbear
01-17-2020, 05:50 PM
X2 on the optimizer. Ted

SeanD
01-18-2020, 07:33 AM
I've used both. I like how the wool is light, flexible, and doesn't have a seam. Despite raptorfan's questionable choice in teams, he's right about the bits of wool. I would find bits on the rack and even floating around in the air when I put the filter in the rack. It also stained more easily which I guess is showing me that it didn't clean out as well. Glad I tried it, but not worth 4 times the cost of a synthetic. Buy three synthetic filters. You'll have reserves for the season and still be ahead of the game on cost.

X4 on the Optimizer. This is a must have for anyone using a cone filter.

barnbc76
01-19-2020, 06:52 AM
I dont have the optimizer yet but I've used a similar inferior method using a collender upsidedown, it works but requires someone to hold it and is slower since syrup has to go through the holes first. I plan on getting the optimizer. I use synthetic con filters.

Ghost
02-16-2020, 08:17 PM
Do you use the optimizer in a filter tank?