PDA

View Full Version : Best filter/canner for a flat electric stovetop?

jdircksen
01-17-2020, 12:22 PM
Uh oh - wrench thrown in at the last minute. I was planning to buy the new 9" CDL vacuum filter/canner and now that it finally came in, it turns out the bottom is not flush with the sides (see photo). Is gas the only way to heat up a container like this?

fisheatingbagel
01-17-2020, 12:43 PM
Uh oh - wrench thrown in at the last minute. I was planning to buy the new 9" CDL vacuum filter/canner and now that it finally came in, it turns out the bottom is not flush with the sides (see photo). Is gas the only way to heat up a container like this?

20539Hmm. What about a slightly bigger pan (with flat bottom) and use as a double boiler. The spigot would be a problem, unless the pan were really shallow

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jdircksen
01-17-2020, 12:46 PM
That was my though too for a little bit, but the drawoff valve would get in the way. The pan would have to be 1" tall and boiling water with that shallow of a pan seems like a mess.

Pdiamond
01-17-2020, 08:22 PM
Is that something you just purchased and received like that? If so, they should replace it.

jdircksen
01-17-2020, 09:28 PM
Is that something you just purchased and received like that? If so, they should replace it.

It's designed that way. I think it is designed for use on a gas burner. But I did a test by putting a pie pan upside down on my kitchen stove and it got hot, so I think this will work fine. It won't work on the induction size, but luckily my stove has regular electric and induction.