PDA

View Full Version : Feedline size

PATheron
11-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Guys- Wondering what size pipe I need to run to a 600 gph RO machine from my bulk tanks. I found a lead on a bunch of stainless milk line out of a barn. Thought maybe that would work good plumbing sap aroung the shed. Im not sure what size it is have any of you used that stuff before and do you think it would make a good fix? Theron

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
11-29-2007, 07:07 PM
I think the vocational program in our area has 1 1/4 stainless pipe from some dairy application. They feed a 5 or 600 gal/hr. seprotech and haven't had problems.

maplwrks
11-30-2007, 07:19 AM
Most Of The Feed Pumps Have A 1 1/4" Infeed So You Should Be Ok. It Will Look Nice And Clean Up Nice Too!

maplecrest
11-30-2007, 08:43 AM
i use a inch and a half feed line for the 600 r/o then 3/4 lines to consentration and permeate tanks. inch and a quarter to feed evap.

Sugarmaker
11-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Theron,
What 600 GPH RO? I didnt see coming???:o Is that fact or rumor?

Chris

PATheron
12-01-2007, 03:52 AM
Chris- Its fact, I ordered it. I was going to wait a year but I bought the vac pump and ended up with more taps than I thought so I decided to bite the bullet and get it now. Im a little nervous about learning on concentrate but Ive got a good guy helping me, Richard Patterson, and I think ill be fine. I got a big ro but my plan is to get everything set up and learn what im doing and if I can actually make some syrup id like to put out another bush like the one I just did or maybe even two more. See what happens, Im having a lot of fun. No more new stuff coming now though my wife grounded me till I pay for this stuff. Theron

fred
12-01-2007, 04:31 AM
I Think It Is A Smart Move. Syrup $ And Demand Are Up. You Will Maximize Your Returns From The Start And Get More Sleep Which Will Make It Alot More Fun Especially At The End Of The Season

Russell Lampron
12-01-2007, 05:35 AM
Theron, the cats out of the bag. I use a 1.25 inch pipe to feed my RO. You will like boiling concentrate. I think it is easier than raw sap. It is good that you have someone down there that can help you because there is a lot to learn going from nothing to a real evaporator and an RO. I'll be here to answer any questions that you you might have too.

Russ

PATheron
12-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Russ- I really appreciate your guys's help. Richards been great too, hes helped me every step of the way. Ill have plenty of questions come spring. Right now im focusing on getting sap and I think thats going to happen. The boiling is going to be a little stressful at first but at least with the ro I wont be up days on end like you guys are saying. Trying to get all the saddles in by end of the day. Once thats done the line is basically complete except a little fine tuning. Theron

PATheron
12-04-2007, 04:59 AM
Guys- Im kind of wondering about my concentrate tank. Local guys got 325 gal plastic tanks in cages. He wants 150 apiece. He also has 275 gal ones. Think one of them would work good? Id be a lot cheaper than something stainless. Ill be able to hose it out everyday. Also I was thinking about putting it right in my kitchen next to the ro. Im going to make a closet for the ro and tank and insulate it. That would put the concentrate tank pretty close to the evap but thered be a 1" hemlock wall and energyshield insulation between the evap and the concentrate tank. Think thatll be good or should I put the concentrate tank outside? I kind of wanted an open top tank and I thought it would be better inside. Im going to use the plastic tanks for the permeate and put them just outside the shed? If you guys have any thoughts lay em on me. Thanks Theron

Parker
12-04-2007, 05:13 AM
I would not put your concentrate in a tote-hard to clean,,and plastic is a bacteria trap- I would think that tank would be the most important to have stainless,,and open top (for ease of cleaning),,,and I think you would want it somewhere warm (but not hot) so you dont have to worry about the feed line freezing,,I would guess that the plastic tanks would be fine for the permate,make sure the totes had some food product in them originally-always running into those totes that had cutting oil-soap-pesticides in them,you can tell by the color of the caps if they are safe (just cant remember what color to look for?) ,gonna also have to gaurd aginst them freezing,,,

PATheron
12-04-2007, 05:35 AM
I wondered about the bacteria too. Whats the best way to get a stainless without breaking the bank? Im kind of going into a recession. I know where theres another cheap bulk tank real small and round bottom but its still probly like 400 gals. Should I buy that if I can and make room for it in the shed? Theron

Russell Lampron
12-04-2007, 05:35 AM
I agree with Parker. An open top round bottom stainless tank is best for concentrate. I have mine on a platform just outside the sugar house. The concentrated sap grows bacteria a lot faster than raw sap so you want to keep it cool. I haven't had any problems with freezing as I boil mine as fast as I make it. I drain everything every time when I finish boiling too so that there isn't anything in the feed pipe or pre heater to freeze.

Russ

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Theron,

Milk tanks are the best. I bougt on a couple of years ago about 1 hour north of Pittsburg that was 625 gallon for $ 400 and hauled the thing all the way back to the sugarhouse 5+ hours on a 5x8 trailer with a Honda Odessy van.

The insulation in the milk tanks help keep it cooler also and they clean and drain very easy!

sapman
12-04-2007, 09:52 PM
So do most of you with ROs keep the concentrate outside, then pump it up to another tank to feed the evaporator? That is actually how I've always done things (without an RO), but figured I'd let the RO push the concentrate overhead to a tank, since it won't be that much weight at any given time. My only concern is the tank warming up, but I've got some ideas to try to keep it cool.

Thanks,
Tim

Russell Lampron
12-05-2007, 05:13 AM
Tim,

My concentrate tank is my feed tank. I just pump the concentrate to it right from the RO. I have mine on a platform just outside my sugar house. I also have a 550 gallon poly tank for the filtrate/permeate which is just outside the RO room.

Russ

maplecrest
12-05-2007, 05:55 AM
your r/o will heat the sap alittle, that is why you boil as fast as you can. if you let consentrate sit it will spoil. the last time i consentrated last spring the sap turned to rope in minutes, and i was done for the season. do not know how that went thru the r/o , to slide out of the tank like that, i had to add hot water to empty the consentrate tank.

sapman
12-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, guys! I've been told that the concentrate should be OK for a couple hours, but not to let it set like 4 or 5. I can understand late in the season sap going rancid rapidly.

My deal is with the Steamaway, I'd have to have a pretty tall platform outside to feed by gravity, and that's really not practical. But we put a 2nd story on the sugarhouse last year, so there's plenty of room up there. Just have to keep the tank cool.

Do any of you put the concentrate through a UV, and have you noticed any improvement with it?

maplecrest
12-06-2007, 05:26 AM
the second story, is a perfect place for the feed tank. does not have to be that big, figure on at least an hours boiling time, with consentrate.as for the cooling would the tank be right over the rig ? or in another room away from it?i have a sight tube so i can look up and see how much sap i have left, after the r/o shuts down