PDA

View Full Version : Questions about leasing a sugarbush

unclejohn
01-14-2020, 03:35 PM
Hi and greetings from MO where the sap has started to flow and the Chiefs will have the Superbowl victory parade in a few weeks! What is the standard arrangement for leasing a sugarbush- how much syrup do I share with the landowner if I tap/collect/boil/finish/bottle. Does that change if landowner provides firewood? What about making roads, having access, liability, etc. Are there any standard agreements on a website? Thanks. John

maple flats
01-14-2020, 04:50 PM
I used a lease form I found on Vermont's maple site, then I redid it to fit my operation. On my 2 leases I paid in both syrup and a check. I set my rate, which will depend on several factors. The ease of access, the size of the bush, is power available, how easy will it be to design and install a tubing system, how many taps/acre potential and the general lay of the land. Other factors can often be about how much demand is there for the lease, if 2 or more producers want it, the cost goes up.
On mine I supplied the landowners with all of the syrup they wanted (calculating the value as if it was all in gal jugs, regardless of the size they requested) the I subtracted that from the total and paid the bal in a check. About 10 or 12 years ago I started at $.75/tap, after 5 years it rose at the same rate as the social security rate declared inflation.
When I ended the leases, I sold one to another producer and the landowner plans to take the other one over next year with me boiling his sap on shares.
Areas with lots of producers can see rates much higher, like I've heard of $2.00/tap. On mine, I did not have permission to cut any firewood (both landowners cut wood to heat their homes) and the trails were already there from logging and firewood gathering already.
In any case, have the lease in writing stating the responsibilities of each party. I always supplied a certificate of liability insurance to the landowner, naming them as "also insured".

220 maple
01-19-2020, 05:14 AM
John,
I used to pay by the gallons of syrup produced, basically I was paying for tree performance, this season the land owners wants .75 per tap. I'm ok with that another local syrup producer is paying that rate so I guess it is collusion if we all set are prices the same? Lol!
Mark 220 Maple

bmbmkr
01-19-2020, 08:30 AM
I downloaded one from the Vermont Website also I can email you a copy, it won't let me post it here. I have yet to lease- but have had several neighbors offer me their trees. I haven't tapped half of ours yet, good to know that it's coming though.

send me an email of private message and I'll send you the form.

benjamin.walker73@gamil.com

Ben