PDA

View Full Version : Wood splitters for sugaring

calvertbrothers
01-13-2020, 04:39 PM
I’m looking to upgrade the old huskee wood splitter and I want something that can split more than 24” long. I’ve been scouring through the internet and I like the eastmade 22-28 and see if they can customize it to go up to 36”. It’s doubtful, but does anyone know a company that makes long stroke firewood splitter and are built well? I cut a lot of firewood between sugaring , my mother’s house and my house.

BAP
01-13-2020, 05:33 PM
Built-rite has an option for 36” and 48” splitters. They are made in Vermont.
https://www.built-rite.com/page/26760-Woodsplitters
Timberwolf made in New York makes splitters, but I couldn’t find on their website if they make ones over 24”.
https://timberwolfequip.com/log-splitters/

VTnewguy
01-13-2020, 05:39 PM
American has options as well.
http://www.americancls.com/products/super/

johnallin
01-13-2020, 06:41 PM
I have a Timber Wolf T-1. It's a great well-made splitter... but only available in 24"as far as I know. You may want to call them.

briang
01-13-2020, 08:49 PM
I have a "Rugged Made" wood splitter that I believe will handle 30"material . I believe it is comparable to the Easton splitters. However it has to be assembled once you get it (3-4hours). Just look it up on the internet.

bigschuss
01-14-2020, 08:20 AM
American has options as well.
http://www.americancls.com/products/super/

+1 for American. I bought one a few years ago. Made in the USA. When you call the company the owner picks up the phone and will answer all questions. Then they delivered it to my door.

And it's a beast!

ennismaple
01-14-2020, 12:17 PM
I’m looking to upgrade the old huskee wood splitter and I want something that can split more than 24” long. I’ve been scouring through the internet and I like the eastmade 22-28 and see if they can customize it to go up to 36”. It’s doubtful, but does anyone know a company that makes long stroke firewood splitter and are built well? I cut a lot of firewood between sugaring , my mother’s house and my house.

The Eastonmade splitters are made in my home town and are great machines! You can get lots of options - like a short stroke to split stovewood, the hydraulic lift, adjustable wedges, auto-return, etc... They aren't cheap but are very well built and worth the money.

maple flats
01-14-2020, 04:55 PM
I did a Google search for log splitters that do logs over 24". There seems to be a few that come up, I found 36" and 48" ones, and a couple of 26".

Shaun
01-14-2020, 06:07 PM
I have a built rite 36 inch 11HP splitter. It is nicely balanced when you need to move it a few feet by hand. The log lift saves the back and you will split chunks you would never think of picking up. The cycle times are a little long with the 36 inch ram and you need an experienced operator for the auto feed and auto return. It's not really a let the kids run the handle type of machine. It was hard to justify the price, but with the 4 way wedge and someone feeding it, wood is done is no time and doesn't even feel like a chore.

calvertbrothers
01-14-2020, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the information guys I like the built-rite model 11. I can go up to a 10 way wedge and get a Diesel engine on it.

calvertbrothers
01-14-2020, 06:22 PM
I have a built rite 36 inch 11HP splitter. It is nicely balanced when you need to move it a few feet by hand. The log lift saves the back and you will split chunks you would never think of picking up. The cycle times are a little long with the 36 inch ram and you need an experienced operator for the auto feed and auto return. It's not really a let the kids run the handle type of machine. It was hard to justify the price, but with the 4 way wedge and someone feeding it, wood is done is no time and doesn't even feel like a chore.
I’m reading up on them and the model 11 is the 11 horse I’m interested in. What I have been reading and watching videos on i can get a 48” stroke, up to a 10 way wedge with a Diesel engine. If you don’t mind me asking what did you pay for your splitter? There are no prices on the website.

Mead Maple
01-14-2020, 06:31 PM
+1 for American. I bought one a few years ago. Made in the USA. When you call the company the owner picks up the phone and will answer all questions. Then they delivered it to my door.

And it's a beast!

I actually based my homemade model off of the American splitter. Grew up with one in my family and always thought they were perfect for heavy homeowner use. You can step up into a more commercial line of splitters but it’s hard to justify the price tag when you get into more of split for money type splitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk