PDA

View Full Version : Using a divided pan as a flat pan.

Trapper2
01-11-2020, 08:47 PM
Do you add sap to each of the chambers as to not establish a gradient?

phil-t
01-12-2020, 04:23 AM
You won't get a gradient if you don't draw.

raptorfan85
01-12-2020, 08:05 AM
You won't get a gradient if you don't draw.

If you keep adding raw sap to the same end of the pan it will form a gradient. Just add to each end alternately and it won't form a gradient.

maple flats
01-12-2020, 09:39 AM
Is there a reason you don't want a gradient?

phil-t
01-12-2020, 09:44 AM
I do this on my 3 section half pint pan with the last collection of sap of the season. I have no problems adding sap, like always, and boiling it as a batch. if there was a gradient, it was minimal and when I got to a 1/2" in the pan, I drew it all off, tested and finished on propane, in a large pot. Didn't have far to go to syrup.

Trapper2
01-12-2020, 10:40 AM
Is there a reason you don't want a gradient?

I do a lot of my sugaring alone and I have many other duties during syrup season. Shed hunting, sap gathering, wood cutting, etc. Presently with a flat pan, 36x42 I add 30 gallons of sap and 2 arm loads of wood and I leave for 2 hours or so, come back and refill both.
I don’t have the time to do a draw off every 10 minutes or so.
I have a old Sugar maker that wants to give me his 2x5 arch and pan after this season.

maple flats
01-13-2020, 08:33 AM
I guess that makes sense somewhat. It must not boil very hard during the later part of those 2 hours, but do what you need to. If it works for you great, I've never left my pans longer than maybe 5 minutes unattended, if that when boiling. Does it actually boil or just simmer?

Trapper2
01-13-2020, 09:32 AM
I guess that makes sense somewhat. It must not boil very hard during the later part of those 2 hours, but do what you need to. If it works for you great, I've never left my pans longer than maybe 5 minutes unattended, if that when boiling. Does it actually boil or just simmer?

Correct Dave, It does not boil as hard at the end of the 2 or 3 hours as it does at the beginning , but I guess what matters to me, while I was gone pruning 20-30 apple trees another 20 - 30 gallons of sap disappeared. 20512

Sugarmaker
01-13-2020, 09:35 AM
Dang I should be pruning apple trees! Thanks!
Regards,
Chris

Trapper2
01-13-2020, 09:39 AM

These pictures are to give you an idea what I'm currently doing on a 3X4 pan and arch.

DrTimPerkins
01-13-2020, 09:45 AM
I can't imagine ever walking away from a boiling pan, but sounds like you like to multi-task to save time.

Just in case, here are some threads that might help save some time later on. :D

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?817-Burnt-Evaporator-Pan
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?16814-cleaning-a-burnt-pan
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?11709-Syrup-pan-burning-what-too-do

ecolbeck
01-13-2020, 09:57 AM
Sounds to me like he’s putting in a large excess of sap that far exceeds the fire’s ability to evaporate while he’s a away. No chance of burning the pan.

Trapper2
01-13-2020, 10:28 AM
Thanks Tim, I will read.
Exactly Ecobeck, I have a 20 gallon tank that is sitting on top dribbling in at about 5-7 gallons an hour. I only produce about 20 gallons a year. So I guess this is what has been working for me. I was just wondering if I needed to treat a divided pan different than a flat.

DrTimPerkins
01-13-2020, 11:04 AM
Sounds to me like he’s putting in a large excess of sap that far exceeds the fire’s ability to evaporate while he’s a away. No chance of burning the pan.

Yes, I understand that...and it will work out as long as there is a HUGE margin of safety built in (particularly the first several times after switching to a new pan). My post was partly in jest. However NOBODY who has ever burnt up a pan THOUGHT they were going to burn a pan before it happened.

eustis22
01-13-2020, 11:55 AM
"Shed Hunting"

I didn't know it was Shed Season!! I gotta get my license!

johnallin
01-13-2020, 01:19 PM
Pretty sure he’s looking for deer racks that have been “shed”.
No license required...

Trapper2
01-13-2020, 01:29 PM
Pretty sure he’s looking for deer racks that have been “shed”.
No license required...

20517 Correct you are John.

SeanD
01-13-2020, 03:35 PM
Ha, ha! Who's really doing the hunting?! Great picture.

As for the fill and walk away, I have variations of that on maple weekend when there are lots of people, lots of questions, and lots of distractions. I go super deep and load up with wood. You get a sense of how long things will last after a few times. The wood always runs out before the sap does. I go really really deep. Sometimes it's hard to get it started again.

The other time I do it is at shut down. While I don't load it up with wood before I leave, I do flood it, bring the back pan to a boil and finish (sometimes start) cleanup. By the time I walk away, it's still simmering, but still deep. I was nervous the first number of times letting it go for the night, but now it's a perk getting some free evaporation time. Leave when there's 2+" and start the next day when there is a little less than 1". To get to that level of comfort, I was leaving it a lot deeper than 2". Then I got a sense of how much evaporates overnight and gradually dropped to the tops of the gates which is 2".

eustis22
01-14-2020, 01:19 PM
You mean I shot my neighbors shed for nothing???? Too bad...I always admired that one.

berkshires
01-16-2020, 10:35 AM

These pictures are to give you an idea what I'm currently doing on a 3X4 pan and arch.

If I'm seeing it right, it looks like there's no firebrick or insulation. When you get the fire really ripping with the blower on, the arch must be glowing pretty good, and you (and kids/dogs) would have to be careful, eh?

My current home-made arch has no insulation, and it's all bowed out and warped to hell. I would never do that again on another arch.

GO

Trapper2
01-31-2020, 07:31 AM
If I'm seeing it right, it looks like there's no firebrick or insulation. When you get the fire really ripping with the blower on, the arch must be glowing pretty good, and you (and kids/dogs) would have to be careful, eh?

My current home-made arch has no insulation, and it's all bowed out and warped to hell. I would never do that again on another arch.

GO20646 Insulated and bricked yesterday, only took a picture when I had 1 piece of insulation up to send to my Brotherinlaw.. Figured the inside of the shack would have been getting to about 100 degrees otherwise.