PDA

View Full Version : Osage Orange, Black Walnut, and Honey Locust Trees

Oxford
01-11-2020, 07:55 AM
I have quite a few osage orange, black walnut, and honey locust trees on my land and I'm wondering what use I can make of them. Are there any practical uses for the fruits of the osage orange, for the black walnuts, or for the pods of the honey locust?

TonyL
01-11-2020, 08:40 AM
You can make syrup from the sap of the Black Walnuts. We used to, until we sold that property. Very tasty, hard to filter, commands a premium price.

Oxford
01-11-2020, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, TonyL. I think I'll get out there and tap a handful of the black walnuts and give it a try. I don't know that I've ever tasted black walnut syrup, but I might as well give it a try.

Michael Greer
01-11-2020, 02:53 PM
Black Walnuts are difficult to crack, but well worth the effort. In a cookie, nut bread, or pastry they are unsurpassed. Some are easier than others to crack. Look for the tree that produces the roundest, widest nut and sample some. Butternut or Walnut sap is a wonderful addition to maple syrup and adds a silky smoothness to the finished product. It's a bit harder to filter for the same reason.

Pdiamond
01-11-2020, 03:11 PM
We use to keep a few of the oranges in our old michigan basement farmhouse, they were suppose to help keep out mice because of there smell. I know that the wood from the osage orange tree is used by folks who craft low bows. I am not sure about the honey locust uses, may have to look that one up.