PDA

View Full Version : Modified my NextGen single post 4x40 to a dual unit in series

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
01-08-2020, 11:22 AM
Decided to try and upgrade my NextGen RO to a 2 post 4x40 in series system. Its basically a prefilter housing into a Procon Series 4 pump running on a 3/4hp motor.

With some help from fellow Maple Traders I came up with my plan on how I was going to proceed.

I bought a new SS housing from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078VVTQP7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and 2 new Dow XLE-4040 Membranes
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D43H6W0/ref=pe_2640190_232586610_pd_te_s_rp_im?_encoding=U TF8&pd_rd_i=B00D43H6W0&pd_rd_r=0Z5WV651M99A6BKVGZNT&pd_rd_w=sNClj&pd_rd_wg=DpnIU&pf_rd_p=2e50ca27-f8ac-49f1-a3e6-e6bfd880a8b7&pf_rd_r=0Z5WV651M99A6BKVGZNT

Overall the upgrade was not too difficult, after finding the correct position I wanted the new housing to be in on the dolly I drilled 4 holes for the supports.
and attached it.

Next came the plumbing. I wanted it to run in series so this is my only concern at this point with the whole setup. I got braided PVC hose to connect my concentrate from the 1st canister into the 2nd. The hose is rated for 200PSI, I generally run the RO at about 210-215psi. I know the hose can handle a bit more than its rated for and I certainly dont want to push it or risk any damage. Ive got my eye on potentially purchasing a steel braided 48" hose from McMaster-Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/flexible-braided-hose its about $115 plus shipping.

I want to clean up the permeate lines so that they look more symmetrical. they will connect to a T and dump into my permeate tank.

Lastly I will install the new filters tonight and run some distilled water through the system to rinse out the membranes, but I think I should be good to go.

If anyone see's any issues, please let me know.

Thanks!
-Scott

maple flats
01-09-2020, 08:31 AM
While it's true there is a safety margin on that hose, I would buy the right stuff. I suggest you call Steve at NGMP (the owner, and a personal friend, he is a real home guy, he will help you with the right hose, or he might say what you have is good, but trust him.
Steve visited my sugarhouse with another friend before he ever started NGMP, back when he was a back yard sugarer.

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
01-09-2020, 08:46 AM
Thanks Dave, I have been to Steves shop a few times and have spoken to him. I didnt send him any updates on my progress but told him I would be trying this.

I will pop him a note.

Thanks!
-Scott

Ghs57
01-09-2020, 10:13 AM
Thanks Dave, I have been to Steves shop a few times and have spoken to him. I didnt send him any updates on my progress but told him I would be trying this.

I will pop him a note.

Thanks!
-Scott

This is very interesting. I have the same single post unit, and want to add another post. I was going to contact NGMP for info and possibly parts. Let us know how it works!

bmbmkr
01-09-2020, 09:42 PM
Be sure to check out the membranes carefully when you get them. I ordered two from Amazon last year when I upgraded my Deer Run. One was a Dow, one was a knockoff. I didn't know any better til the permeate tube broke during my second sap run. I had it past the return window and had to suck up another membrane right at the beginning of the season. Amazon was on 60 minutes a couple weeks ago, they are getting pounded by customers for all the Chinese CRAP they are selling now. My next membranes will be from MES.

Kchamp
04-19-2020, 08:07 PM
Decided to try and upgrade my NextGen RO to a 2 post 4x40 in series system. Its basically a prefilter housing into a Procon Series 4 pump running on a 3/4hp motor.

With some help from fellow Maple Traders I came up with my plan on how I was going to proceed.

I bought a new SS housing from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078VVTQP7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and 2 new Dow XLE-4040 Membranes
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D43H6W0/ref=pe_2640190_232586610_pd_te_s_rp_im?_encoding=U TF8&pd_rd_i=B00D43H6W0&pd_rd_r=0Z5WV651M99A6BKVGZNT&pd_rd_w=sNClj&pd_rd_wg=DpnIU&pf_rd_p=2e50ca27-f8ac-49f1-a3e6-e6bfd880a8b7&pf_rd_r=0Z5WV651M99A6BKVGZNT

Overall the upgrade was not too difficult, after finding the correct position I wanted the new housing to be in on the dolly I drilled 4 holes for the supports.
and attached it.

Next came the plumbing. I wanted it to run in series so this is my only concern at this point with the whole setup. I got braided PVC hose to connect my concentrate from the 1st canister into the 2nd. The hose is rated for 200PSI, I generally run the RO at about 210-215psi. I know the hose can handle a bit more than its rated for and I certainly dont want to push it or risk any damage. Ive got my eye on potentially purchasing a steel braided 48" hose from McMaster-Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/flexible-braided-hose its about $115 plus shipping.

I want to clean up the permeate lines so that they look more symmetrical. they will connect to a T and dump into my permeate tank.

Lastly I will install the new filters tonight and run some distilled water through the system to rinse out the membranes, but I think I should be good to go.

If anyone see's any issues, please let me know.

Thanks!
-Scott
How did it work for you?

claystroup
04-20-2020, 08:16 PM
Can you show more pictures of your setup? I have The Next Gen 45gph RO and would like to upgrade. It has one 2-1/2" x 40" membrane and removes 20-25 gallons of permeate an hour. If I could add a 2nd 2-1/2" membrane that would be an option for me. Did you keep the pump your RO came with or did you upgrade.

Thanks,

Clay Stroup

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
04-21-2020, 09:36 AM
Hi Clay,
It ended up working very well for me but I did have to change the pump out. I ended up putting a Goulds 7GBS pump on the system. I was able to run that at about 210PSI and I was taking a 275 gallon container of sap, running it for 2 hours while recirculating and got it down to roughly 75 gallons of concentrate between 6-8%. Cut my boils down to just under 2 hours. Absolutely worked great for me.

I am going to rebuild it again this summer just to improve the layout of the controls and make it more user friendly for me. Also the Goulds pump requires a feed pump to function. I didnt plan on that originally but once I added it everything worked very smoothly.

-Scott

Can you show more pictures of your setup? I have The Next Gen 45gph RO and would like to upgrade. It has one 2-1/2" x 40" membrane and removes 20-25 gallons of permeate an hour. If I could add a 2nd 2-1/2" membrane that would be an option for me. Did you keep the pump your RO came with or did you upgrade.

Thanks,

Clay Stroup

gbwaterski
04-22-2020, 01:31 PM
Did you have any issues running the Goulds 7GBS at that high of pressure? The curve charts for that model only show a max PSI/ dynamic head pressure of around 185psi.

Mead Maple
04-23-2020, 05:03 AM
NH, how much was the Gould lump and what were your reasons for going with that over the Prcon style?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
04-23-2020, 10:18 AM
With the feed pump adding almost 50PSI to the system I did not have a problem running the pump that high.

I spoke with a company that did in home RO designs and setups and they recommended me going with the Goulds over the Procon pump as they didnt believe the Procon would sufficiently pump enough sap over the membranes to prevent fouling. I wish I had gone with the 10GBS model though instead, but I really cant complain too much. A single tote of sap is about the maximum I get on a daily run. If I was getting more sap I would go to the next size pump and add a 3rd membrane.

I believe I paid $650 for the pump.

NH, how much was the Gould lump and what were your reasons for going with that over the Prcon style?

Mead Maple
04-23-2020, 11:26 AM