PDA

View Full Version : looking for welder

log cabin luke
01-01-2020, 03:48 PM
I have a 4 x 8 raised flue pan with about 15 cracks and small holes on the tips of the flues. It happened when my feed line plugged up and the pan ran low.
Does any one know of a good welder in southern New England that could do a reasonable job fixing it.

Thanks Luke

Mead Maple
01-01-2020, 07:20 PM
Luke are you in Mass or further?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

log cabin luke
01-02-2020, 06:06 AM
Hi mead maple

I am in Mass but will travel for quality work

Thanks Luke

TheMapleNews
01-03-2020, 07:18 AM
The best place for pan repair near to you is in Manchester, Vt. and the folks at Monarch Auto Body (don't let the name mislead you; they have been doing maple work for many years). Call them at 802-362-2344

maple flats
01-03-2020, 07:53 AM
If you haven't yet, after the repair, develop a way to help you not run low ever again. On my head tank just inside the sugar house I have a site level on my head tank. On that I have a few marks showing how much sap is still in the tank. The lowest lines show 5 gal, 10 gal and then 18 gal, they were marked by putting those amounts in the tank. Above that I have a few marks that are guestimates, including one to indicate full. When boiling, I stop fueling when I get to 18 gal. If I fail to notice the level until it is below that, I pump more sap, or even permeate into the tank.
Others actually have an audible alarm or flashing light that comes on shortly before the tank is empty if on wood fuel, or if on oil or other quick off fuel, the level is then watched closely so the heat can be shut off as needed.
If the low sap level was from another reason, find a way to prevent it from happening in the future.
You are officially now a maple producer.

log cabin luke
01-05-2020, 07:59 AM
I was scrambling to get every thing done last season an had 7000 gallons of sap backed up. Fw webb was not open on a sunday so I had to go to home depot to get a piece of copper pipe. They did not carry 1 1/4 pipe and only had 1 inch which I new was way to small but had to start boiling as some of my sap was over 7 days old. We put it together with the 1 inch pipe and boiled for over 36 straight hours between me and a friend . I should have changed the pipe out after we got caught up but did not bother. some debris got stuck in the small 1 inch pipe and stopped the flow. Shortly after I noticed smoke coming for my second flue pan as my evaporator has 2 flue pans. the syrup had burnt to a crisp an i frantically ran around back and fourth from the feed take with bucks of sap to save the pan. pan was save from being junked but now I do have some holes to get welded. I will be calling the people at monarch to see what they have to say. Thanks for the info Luke

maple flats
01-05-2020, 08:24 AM
Too late now, but if you can't find the right size, it is better to upsize rather than downsize. I think Home Depot has 1.5", my local Lowes does.

log cabin luke
01-05-2020, 06:55 PM
The home depot in Greenfield,ma is a small one as the locals did not want it in there and they had to make it abridged, so nothing bigger than 1 inch unfortunately.

A little off topic but I noticed maple flats is closing in on 10,000 posts. I feel like there should be some sort of party or award ceremony.

calvertbrothers
01-06-2020, 10:25 AM
Who ever is doing it make sure they drill at each end of the cracks, to stop the cracks from spreading. I have done a few of them from people that repaired them prior.

Mead Maple
01-06-2020, 07:31 PM
The home depot in Greenfield,ma is a small one as the locals did not want it in there and they had to make it abridged, so nothing bigger than 1 inch unfortunately.

A little off topic but I noticed maple flats is closing in on 10,000 posts. I feel like there should be some sort of party or award ceremony.

He is a huge contributor and I will personally thank him for all the insight and encouragement he gives in each post. It is always sincere and you can tell how much he loves the maple world.

Hopefully his favorite Stormy Kromer hat still fits after all this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
01-06-2020, 07:33 PM
I have a 4 x 8 raised flue pan with about 15 cracks and small holes on the tips of the flues. It happened when my feed line plugged up and the pan ran low.
Does any one know of a good welder in southern New England that could do a reasonable job fixing it.

Thanks Luke
have you checked with Bill Mason, he is located in Chapel Maine

log cabin luke
01-08-2020, 08:08 PM
Who ever is doing it make sure they drill at each end of the cracks, to stop the cracks from spreading. I have done a few of them from people that repaired them prior.

What size drill bit should be used? Thanks for the info, never heard of drilling the ends of the cracks

BAP
01-09-2020, 06:03 AM
What size drill bit should be used? Thanks for the info, never heard of drilling the ends of the cracks
It doesn’t need to be very big. Just enough to make a round stop at the end of the crack to keep it from wanting to spread.

n8hutch
01-09-2020, 02:50 PM
have you checked with Bill Mason, he is located in Chapel Maine

I think Bill Mason is on Chapel street, Porter Maine.