PDA

View Full Version : How many taps on laterals (using 1inch mainline)

1-GEN-SAPPER
12-29-2019, 04:55 PM
Last year i used a shurflow pump and had about 40 taps all on 5/16 tubing. Needless to say i didn't get good results. This year i want to use 1 inch mainline and 5/16 laterals. But not sure how many taps per lateral, thanks.

Kh7722
12-29-2019, 05:51 PM
I also have 1” mainlines in our woods, i strive for 3-5 on each lateral. With that said i do have some with one and some with 7. Kinda depends on the lay of land and tree location. Strive for 5, or under and you will have good results.
Kevin

Russell Lampron
12-29-2019, 05:59 PM
Five taps per lateral is the rule but you can do as many as ten if necessary.

Delta Glen
12-29-2019, 07:34 PM
The last sections of woods tubed we averaged 2.6 taps per lateral. Our per tap syrup average has been steadily going up. We feel this and 1" mains are big reason why.

1-GEN-SAPPER
12-29-2019, 07:56 PM
Ok great, also does the length of laterals have a limit or the length of mainline? Thanks for the help

maple flats
12-30-2019, 08:59 AM
Follow the strive for 5, never more than 10. Using a sureflow pump you also want to have a recirculation line, from either the sap destination tank or the pump outlet, back to near the pump inlet. That line is best if it has a needle valve inline. The purpose of this line is to keep the diaphragm wet, a wet diaphragm pulls far better than a dry one. That line can be either 3/16 or 5/16, but it can be throttled back so the flow is only a little, not the full potential of the line, you want just enough to keep the diaphragm wet. Also, don't run the pump when there is ice in the lines, ice is real hard on the diaphragm.

DrTimPerkins
12-30-2019, 02:53 PM
3/16" tubing is not recommended for flat ground. Will it work? Yes, you will collect some sap. Is it optimal? Definitely not, your yield will be lower than with 5/16" tubing.

"Strive for 5, never more than 10" is the rule for pumped vacuum systems (this was derived from research at the UVM Proctor Maple Res Ctr). Our average # taps/lateral is around 3 currently. Peak sap production is 1 tap per lateral in 5/16" systems, and it is possible to do better than that with unconventional approaches, but these are not economically viable at current bulk syrup prices. In conversations with tubing installers, they are averaging below 3 taps/lateral in new installations.

Length of lateral line should be under 150'. Length of mainline depends upon how far you need to get...but the diameter of the mainline will increases as length increases and varies depending upon whether you have a single mainline system or dual-line (wet-dry) system. A great deal more info is in the New York Maple Tubing Manual (Cornell University). With 40 taps...you won't need to worry about a dual-line system. 3/4" mainline pipe would work (don't bother with 1/2" pipe for several reasons).

With a diaphragm pump, your main concern will be keeping the system as leak-free as possible. These pumps work well, but are not very forgiving of leaks since they don't move much CFM (they are liquid pumps after all, not air pumps). Either way, your vacuum will fall off quickly if you have any leaks and on hot days when the trees are releasing a good quantity of gas along with the sap.

1-GEN-SAPPER
12-30-2019, 09:18 PM
Thanks everyone for all your input, im gonna give it a go this spring. Hope you all have a great sap season!!!

VT_K9
01-01-2020, 10:56 PM
Also watch your overall run on each lateral. Look around at saddle options and who has the best luck with which one. Avoid re-tensioning mainline with saddles installed, just don't do it. A few extra saddles may yield more sap which will definitely give you a good return over the life span of the tubing. Keep your joints tight. Consider SS maple style fittings over plastic.

Mike